Tin Foil on the Rutland Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
I heard about putting a piece of tin foil (it's really "aluminum" but.........) on the stove thermometer and so I thought I'd try it.

Turns out, my Rutland thermometer has these two little pins that stick up on the top of the thermometer that would prevent the needle from pushing the "tin foil" up as far as the needle can travel.

The pins are formed into the face of the gauge, so I can't remove them. I'm not sure what they are there for, so I dare not snip them off........

Anyone know what those little pins are for? They sit just left and right of the 12 oclock position on the gauge, and don't seem to have any purpose.

-Soupy1957

I guess I don't understand , whats the purpose of the tin foil. ??

estang said:
I guess I don't understand , whats the purpose of the tin foil. ??

You put it on your head in the shape of a hat so the aliens don't read your mind. :) ;)

Actually, some folks have taken a small piece of tin foil and fashioned it into a L-shape or similar shape and then rested it against the stove thermometer's needle . . . the tin foil is light enough so that the needle will freely move the tin foil . . . and what you end up with is a MacGuyer gauge to tell you hot hot your stove got when it was running since the tin foil should stay in place when the stove cools and the needle on the thermometer drops . . . leaving the tin foil in place.

Why don't you use thin wire instead

Status
Not open for further replies.