Tin Snips are not my friends (how do I trim a stove pipe?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best tool I have used for cutting stove pipe is a 3" cut off wheel in a electric die grinder.
Make sure to wear eye and ear protection.

rowerwet said:
here is a link with a picture...
Unfortunately the spaces in the URL break the link but a copy/paste works. Cool tool!

The next time i need some pipe cut, I will drop by the machine shop and have cut it with a metal cutting band saw, that will give the best cut and not have rough edges.

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
The next time i need some pipe cut, I will drop by the machine shop and have cut it with a metal cutting band saw, that will give the best cut and not have rough edges.

Great idea, but imposible. A metal cutting band saw needs to have multiple teeth in the thickness of the metal during the cut. Otherwise the tooth in question just snags the stock, either ripping the tooth off, or in the case of the stovepipe, crushing and distorting the pipe. Good tin snips cut unroled pipe quickly and easily, and as pointed out, an abrasive cutoff tool will readily deal with a formed pipe. I am just too old-school to bother with the cutoff wheel, and struggle through with tin snips. If I am installing an entire new HVAC duct system, I will use one of several electric shears or nibblers that I have.

If you want to pay a professional to cut stove pipe for you, go to a sheetmetal shop or an HVAC contractor.

Swedishchef said:
Just my 2 cents, what about telescopic stove pipe lengths??

Andrew

Normally you never cut telescoping pipe, that is the whole point of it telescoping. However, single-wall slip pipe would be cut the same way as noted with the aviation snips guidelines.

937807c9-b432-4267-a2c6-c7610d1b7702_400.jpg

This is what I use to cut conduit, its great for that and I'm sure it'd be great for stove pipe also

A 4 1/2" grinder with a thin "metal cutting" wheel goes through stove pipe and SS liners effortlesly. I am using one on my rigid liner install now. Don't forget the P.P.E., safety glasses and hearing protection are a must.

hack saw worked fine for me, with the pipe already rolled together. I also wouldn't hesitate to use a circular saw with an abrasive cutting wheel. I wouldn't use a toothed blade on a circular saw to cut thin sheet metal like stove pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.