Tiny Blue Flames natural gas stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pull the burner & burner orifice & clean the gas line BEHIND the orifice with a Q-tip or a pipe cleaner.
I have finally got around to pulling out Vermont Casting Stardance Direct Vent Natural Gas operating manual, using advice above and getting fireplace pulled apart and put back together. I pulled the burner out and could tell that there was "stuff" inside it. Sprayed air from compressor into burner and shook out a bit of dust and small ceramic particles pieces from the lava rock package that have fallen into burner. After getting this done and now not hearing any loose items going on inside the burner, I now went to work on the orifices. I was only able to unscrew one of them but did take pipe cleaners to both and worked on making sure that there was nothing inside. Now - putting fireplace back together and turning it back on - I do have a bit bigger flame but nothing like it should be. My only though is that we are having some issues with the honeywell valve. I am up for any other recommendations - here are some photos and diagrams of what I have worked with - thanks, Chris Manning
upload_2016-2-9_9-39-50.png
upload_2016-2-9_9-40-6.png

upload_2016-2-9_9-40-53.png

upload_2016-2-9_9-42-31.png
upload_2016-2-9_9-42-46.png
upload_2016-2-9_9-42-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-9_9-39-19.png
    upload_2016-2-9_9-39-19.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 164
  • upload_2016-2-9_9-40-24.png
    upload_2016-2-9_9-40-24.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 156
Is this a new condition of a unit which has always been running on Natural Gas, or was this a re-sale and re-install?

Maybe an ask that requires a Gas Technician, or if you could get your hands on a manometer, what is the outlet pressure on the valve, as well as the inlet? Secondly, what sizes are marked on the orifices - would either be a nominal orifice size stamped into it, or the applicable dimension in decimal points of an inch...

Is this a new condition of a unit which has always been running on Natural Gas, or was this a re-sale and re-install?

Maybe an ask that requires a Gas Technician, or if you could get your hands on a manometer, what is the outlet pressure on the valve, as well as the inlet? Secondly, what sizes are marked on the orifices - would either be a nominal orifice size stamped into it, or the applicable dimension in decimal points of an inch...

I was thinking along those lines, TG, but the OP indicated it was working fine until this year...

We purchased it new over 10+ years ago and has had no service in this time. Was working fine with good flame - but now that I think about it - it may have been 2 years now that we have had a small blue flame going on and not the nice looking flame it should be (plus added heat output with bigger flame).

I was thinking along those lines, TG, but the OP indicated it was working fine until this year...
I have a neighbor down the street that has a heating/plumbing company that I may give a call - I know that he would be fair on price for fixing this up - unfortunately the gas fireplace company that installed this Vermont Castings Stardance Stove years ago is around 45 miles away so it is a big service charge to get them out. It just seems that if the Honeywell valve could put more gas out (by turning the valve to "11" - Spinal Tap Movie quote - or higher then it goes now) my problem would be solved. I am almost just thinking about buying a new Honeywell valve and installing that to see if the problem would be fixed.

I have a neighbor down the street that has a heating/plumbing company that I may give a call - I know that he would be fair on price for fixing this up - unfortunately the gas fireplace company that installed this Vermont Castings Stardance Stove years ago is around 45 miles away so it is a big service charge to get them out. It just seems that if the Honeywell valve could put more gas out (by turning the valve to "11" - Spinal Tap Movie quote - or higher then it goes now) my problem would be solved. I am almost just thinking about buying a new Honeywell valve and installing that to see if the problem would be fixed.
ps - thinking more about this - maybe it could be the burner? I know when I pulled it out there was a lot of crap in it - maybe it is still clogged and not letting gas through?

ps - thinking more about this - maybe it could be the burner? I know when I pulled it out there was a lot of crap in it - maybe it is still clogged and not letting gas through?

If it's the burner, it may be that gas is escaping other than thru the burner ports. Another gas burner recently had this issue with a Jotul burner pan leaking. If you pull the logs, & light the unit, you may see flames in other areas...

He temporarily sealed the leak with Hi Temp RTV Silicone...Hasn't reported back with any results

After taking our Vermont Castings Direct Vent Stardance NG stove apart many a times I finally called in a service person. We have a bad Honey Well Valve (VS8420E) Natural - part number from Vermont Castings manual is 10001782 (above back in Jan 2016 I scanned the valve into this thread).

So - here is the email I got back from the folks that serviced our stove

"Unfortunately, Honeywell no longer makes these valves. Vermont Castings does not offer a retro-fit valve for this stove. Nate can probably installed an SIT valve on your stove. However, that may require a new piezo ignitor and pilot assembly. Estimated cost to install a new valve upgrade will cost between $675.00 - 800.00, to be billed at time and materials. Let me know if you want to go ahead with this repair."

What the heck - I have not researched this at all and throwing this out to the crowd. Does this sound correct that there would be no replacement/retro fit valve kit available? Just bums me out - was hoping to only have to throw a couple of hundred bucks out there to purchase a new valve and replace it myself.

Thanks for the support and any advise that anyone may have.

Chris Manning

I know they used to make a Honeywell to SIT valve kit for this stove (the one pictured is the newer 'drop-in' burner style). It was item 20010811 for NG and 20010680 for LP. They still appear to be available on sites like ibuyfireplaceparts.com and woodmanspartsplus.com. The version prior to your model (characterized by a 7 pc log set, solid cast iron firebox bottom, and right side gas entry on burner) would not have had a kit, but the model you have should be at least a little easier to deal with...

Thanks so much for the part# for our Stardance. I am so glad to hear that there is a retrofit valve kit - I was afraid that this was going to be a difficult fix but now not so worried. Thanks Again

Hi Tech Guru and Daksy - I have the SIT retrofit valve (#20010811) here now ready to install into our Vermont Castings Stardance Stove. I like to be a DIY but wondering if I should have the service folks I have looked at the stove install it or should I attempt this myself. It looks like it came with
  • Gas Valve
  • Spark Ignitor
  • Valve Bracket
  • Ignitor Bracket
  • Bracket Fasteners
but no install instructions. I am OK with calling in the pros but if this is a fairly simple job I am up for digging into it myself. Thanks for the input.

Hmmm. I'd say that if you have ANY doubts about your abilities to preform the change over correctly & safely,
I'd leave to a professional hearth tech.

Reactions: Tech Guru
I'd second DAKSY's opinion.

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.