Tiny gas burner in tiny fireplace with big unlined chimney: Bad idea or OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joann5

Hearth Supporter
Dec 12, 2008
deep south
My latest idea for installing gas-flame ambience into my tiny fireplaces is as follows:

Use a small burner (12" single pipe burner pan unit) with appropriate safety pilot and fake coals and vermiculite.
I figure this wouldn't put out any more heat or water than a stove burner (??)

My chimney is unlined brick (flue interior dimensions 14" x 6"). How bad would putting something like a stove burner under an unlined flue? And running it only for a few hours at a time a few days a week a few months a year?

This is neither massive amounts of heat in the flue nor massive amounts of water vapor. Still bad? or OK?

joann5 said:
My latest idea for installing gas-flame ambience into my tiny fireplaces is as follows:

Use a small burner (12" single pipe burner pan unit) with appropriate safety pilot and fake coals and vermiculite.
I figure this wouldn't put out any more heat or water than a stove burner (??)

My chimney is unlined brick (flue interior dimensions 14" x 6"). How bad would putting something like a stove burner under an unlined flue? And running it only for a few hours at a time a few days a week a few months a year?

This is neither massive amounts of heat in the flue nor massive amounts of water vapor. Still bad? or OK?

I would say to ask the manufacture what they reccomend.

Don't see how that's any different from folks who put gas logs in their masonry FPs. Done around here a lot including in older FPs w/ unlined chims. Never heard of any problems unless the install is not done correctly, or the chimney is not sound to begin with (eg. cracked through).

Good luck.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.