Tiny home, shallow pockets, why not Vogelzang?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rwhite said:
Not and expert by any strech but I can give you my recommendation after installing an insert with a 1.8 cuft fire box. Anthing smaller than that regardless of rating would be a pain. 1.8 cuft does a good job of heating about 1000 sqft of living space and I can pull the heat upstairs and keep the attic room comfortable (another 400 sqft). Not enough capicity to get an 8 hr burn, maybe 5-6 if I use large chunk of oak or maple. But it is kind of a pain to load and doesn't hold a lot of wood. I would think anything smaller would be a real pain even if it would heat the house.

I think this is a very good point. Small stoves don't burn as long as big ones. Sometimes loading the stove is fun, like it will be tomorrow for me when we have our first burn in a week or so (it has been unseasonably warm here), but after a day or two I would like to be able to let the stove burn longer, and I don't get overnight heat. By February or March I will be thinking seriously about buying a stove that burns longer. I think my next stove will be a cat stove so I an let it smoulder but still get a clean, long burn.

Didn't Cowboy Billy just put in a smaller stove, True North I think it was? He has a thread showing it in his cabin. I know it's tough having all these choices but you may see something you never knew was out there.

By the way I thought Dix said she had pants too. And what are longears, mules?

Hi Debi

I got a Pacific Energy true north two months ago. It was $950 + tax and I think it would have been another $40 for the side shields for reduced clearance. Its in a 12x20 room hooked to a 26' coachman travel trailer. I've only used it a few weeks but so far only in temps going down to the 30's but so far I am really happy with it. With 4" of coals and three oak rounds it was burning 7-8hrs with enough coals to easily get another fire going in the morning.

I got the new woodstove in the bunkhouse. In a way I hated to replace the 110 year old stove. And I really hate loosing all the radiant heat the round oak put out. Standing with my back to it and having the heat relax all my sore mussels. But I don't miss having to put wood in it every four hrs and having to leave the windows and door open in -6 deg weather because it was too hot inside.

376182_1985815660007_1681757389_1418087_1236390417_n.jpg

I haven't ran it in really cold weather yet. Low 30's at nite and mid 40's to mid 50's in the day. My wood isn't as dry as it should be and I was having a lot of buildup on the window. I was only using 2-3 splits at a time with the air cut all the way back. In fact I was afraid to fill it full without having a good fan. As it wanted to run 550 to 650 deg stove top all the time. If I wanted to keep it down to 300 I would only throw two splits and not give it any air to start. Burning white birch and red maple.

It was wild watching it restart from coals in the morning. Starting with the stove top 200 deg give it full air. Get the secondary's going good around 350 and watch the stove pipe get hot. Close off the air the stove top climbs to 550 but the stove pipe temps drop. Next time I get up to the farm I am going to take some chalk mark the stove pipe every foot. And record the pipe and stove top temps lighting the stove, with the air 1/2 open and the top at 350. Then with the air off top at 550. If I remember correctly after the air was down for a while the top at 550 the pipe was only at 275.

A little secondary action.

390392_2035838870556_1681757389_1436011_926677453_n.jpg

390392_2035838910557_1681757389_1436012_1228893404_n.jpg

Billy

Thanks CB for posting those pix! I've been learning alot about these new stoves through all of you here and digging deeper into this site along with a few others. Must say that I find this forum and website truly helpful and am grateful.

Regarding longears.... donkeys and a mule. The following is Baby Buck who is now a big oaf that towers over the miniature horses but is bossed around by even the smallest of them. I think his ears pick up radio half way across the globe ;)

Attachments

• Buck-march9-2007j.jpg
    Buck-march9-2007j.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 369
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
FYI, if you click on a thread that has "chaps" in the title, it ain't gonna be what you think it is !!!!
Sure it was. Depends on where you come from.

Debi said:
Thanks CB for posting those pix! I've been learning alot about these new stoves through all of you here and digging deeper into this site along with a few others. Must say that I find this forum and website truly helpful and am grateful.

Regarding longears.... donkeys and a mule. The following is Baby Buck who is now a big oaf that towers over the miniature horses but is bossed around by even the smallest of them. I think his ears pick up radio half way across the globe ;)

Love the 'Fro :)

It'll take a few to sort through stoves, clearances, and all that. Feel free to ask away, Debi :)

Ordered the Englander 13 NC a few hours ago from overstockstoves.com. Thank you BeGreen for that link! Hoping it comes soon! Spoke with a very helpful, pleasant and efficient man by the name of Eric. They should give that man a raise ;) He worked hard at finding a place close enough for the drop point but when you live in no-mans land there is no such place as "close" (one of the many beautiful things about living here). The closest he had was 97 miles away but after quite a few calls back and forth he got permission from his company, and the sawmill a half mile from here, to have it shipped there for me. :) Happy Dance!

Great that you could work it out that close. Any loading dock will do. These are factory direct stoves so you don't have to worry. Warmth is coming.

YES !!!!

Go Deb !!!

Good to hear you got things figured out in a right hurry! Real nice they got it delivered that close.

It's great seeing a fellow Wyomingite on board as well.
I am just about to replace my old Big Buck stove as well, and have decided on the Englander - 30. Nothing like cost effective to make those stoves really attractive! Congrats!!!

Awesome decision! As soon as you get the stove, call up ESW and register it for warranty purposes. Great company; hopefully there won't be anything amiss with your new stove, but be assured that ESW will be great to work with if you need to!

Debi said:
Ord The closest he had was 97 miles away but after quite a few calls back and forth he got permission from his company, and the sawmill a half mile from here, to have it shipped there for me. :) Happy Dance!

Wow, go englander!

Try that one with any other stove company on the planet.

I dun tink so Lucy.

Slap!! Deb and BG high five.

Status
Not open for further replies.