Tiny house stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Good afternoon all-

Well, I'm in the process of a life change, and seriously considering a major downsize. Specifically, I'm considering building a tiny house-maybe 300 ft.², as off the grid as I can make it and still have Internet access.

Obviously, my NC 3 0 is going to be a bit big for the task. What are some units I should be considering for that small a space?

Also, there's the wood versus pellet versus gas question… Any comments there are welcome too.

Reactions: DTrain
Good afternoon all-

Well, I'm in the process of a life change, and seriously considering a major downsize. Specifically, I'm considering building a tiny house-maybe 300 ft.², as off the grid as I can make it and still have Internet access.

Obviously, my NC 3 0 is going to be a bit big for the task. What are some units I should be considering for that small a space?

Also, there's the wood versus pellet versus gas question… Any comments there are welcome too.

There were some threads on this issue last winter if you search for them.

The problem I have with tiny stoves is the tiny wood that's needed. Most of these little stoves require kindlin rather than firewood. I would really look closely at the smallest Woodstock cat stove. Or possibly the Jotul 602 as an alternative.

Reactions: colin.p
I absolutely love the Englander 17-VL, but it's gonna be boxer shorts and a window cracked all winter in such a small space. Not like that's the end of the world lol.

There were some threads on this issue last winter if you search for them.

Actually,my search only turned up a few threads on hunting cabins, not anything related to full-time living.

I am surprised that webby didn't mention BK stoves. From what I hear they love to run at really low settings. They would offer you a long time burn and a real size fire box, so you could use a normal size fire wood.

How insulated are you planning? Will this be a strawbale house (superinsulated) or a scrappy thin walled shack? Still in NE Maryland?

I am surprised that webby didn't mention BK stoves. From what I hear they love to run at really low settings. They would offer you a long time burn and a real size fire box, so you could use a normal size fire wood.

Isn't a BK a little overkill for 300 sf? The Jotul seems like a better bet...

How insulated are you planning? Will this be a strawbale house (superinsulated) or a scrappy thin walled shack? Still in NE Maryland?

yes, or at least in Cecil County, Maryland. I expect it o be heavily insulated, I intend for full-time living.

Sardine stove is more like it. http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm
Search for past thread suggestions on this topic. Any wood stove needs to be tiny like the house. Myself, I'd probably use propane or a small electric heater.

Isn't a BK a little overkill for 300 sf? The Jotul seems like a better bet...

yes, or at least in Cecil County, Maryland. I expect it o be heavily insulated, I intend for full-time living.
Very cool. If you don't already know her, look up Sigi Koko, www.buildnaturally.com she's an architect in the general area who specializes in strawbale construction and the like. Her facebook page has lots of cool albums and tips.

I definitely can't imagine a conventional stove working here, maybe an Englander 17VL or tiny Hampton or Morso but that Gray stove (similar to the Sardine in size) might do the job or if you're feeling adventurous go for a Rocket Mass heater!

Standardizing on smaller, kindling split firewood would facilitate wood-based cooking too (rocket stoves and/or cob pizza ovens along with grilling/smoking)

I never had a cat stove but it seems to me like so far bk is the only stove available to be able to provide low heat output. I would ask other members who have a BK stoves if they could separate their stove room and see if they are able to dial it down without cooking them out of the room.

Your not going to be able to get a very long burn out of anything small enough to fit the space and not run you out. A cat stove would be the only way to go if your wanting wood for sole/primary heat. Feeding a small non-cat that small would end up being a full time job. Personally I would plan on some sort of propane heat for backup or overnight heat at least. Possibly a direct vent propane heater/stove. Floor plan wise, in a space that small a direct vent appliance would be able to vent out the side wall and be tucked in tighter somewhere rather than needing the clearances of a wood stove and chimney. Something like the Cottage or Mini Franklin gas stove from Woodstock might be something to consider...

Reactions: Mainely Saws
I don't think you have to worry at all about burn time. If you have a well insulated and sealed space that size with a good thermal mass (Insulated concrete floor??) you should last 12 hrs without any heat at all. Then light your tiny stove for an hour or two.

Hamilton Marine used to sell wood burning marine stoves not sure if they still do. Unfortunately a small stove needs small wood to burn right. A 602 will drive you out of the building if its built right.

I never had a cat stove but it seems to me like so far bk is the only stove available to be able to provide low heat output. I would ask other members who have a BK stoves if they could separate their stove room and see if they are able to dial it down without cooking them out of the room.
While BKs are very controllable, we are talking about 300 square feet here. Even their smallest stove is way too much heat and would take up too much room.

You are probably right I just figured that nothing can beat a true cat stove to a really low output.

You are probably right I just figured that nothing can beat a true cat stove to a really low output.
That's true, this is an extreme case though.
It's hard for me to say, but I'd look into direct vent freestanding gas stoves. They do very well as room heaters, which is what this is. Being on a thermostat would be a real plus.

The problem I have with tiny stoves is the tiny wood that's needed. Most of these little stoves require kindlin rather than firewood. I would really look closely at the smallest Woodstock cat stove. Or possibly the Jotul 602 as an alternative.
I agree. I heat a 300 square ft. room in my shed with a Mama Bear. There is a learning curve in heating with an overkill stove, but it can be done without it getting to uncomfortable.

Others have found out with small spaces after you get done with the hearth and stove clearances, it doesn't leave you much room for the rest of your junk.

That is why I recommend if you have electricity to install a through the wall unit so it will take up less footprint inside, either that or up the size of the building.

This is a shot of a 540 sq ft tiny house with stove:

tinyhousestove.jpg

Reactions: mwhitnee
Others have found out with small spaces after you get done with the hearth and stove clearances, it doesn't leave you much room for the rest of your junk.

That is why I recommend if you have electricity to install a through the wall unit so it will take up less footprint inside, either that or up the size of the building.

This is a shot of a 540 sq ft tiny house with stove:

View attachment 166859

That's kind of cute . . . any shots from the rest of the home?

As a person that has a 450 sqft cabin I feel a little qualified to throw in my two cents...
Forget the stove. Too much floor space consumed. Too difficult to maintain any type of constant temps and very little payback. The amount of energy it is gonna take to heat and or cool that place is next to nill. A single minisplit will cool or heat that area with ease, its off the floor (wall mount) and after the initial purchase, will cost squat to run in that small of an area. Just one dudes opinion that has a bit of experience trying to be as space efficient as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.