Tip the installers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Linden

Burning Hunk
Dec 28, 2012
Rhode Island
Hey Guys

OK important time sensitive question: Do you tip the installers? The dealer is installing our stove today. If you do, how much? I mean tips are usually based on purchase price so it would be very pricey if I based it on that LOL

Tim

I would only consider it if I felt the installer went above and beyond. Well any tip I would think basically goes straight into the installers pocket and its not anymore work to install a $3k stove vs a 1K stove.

I don't even understand the practice of tipping in the places it's already practiced. I personally, see no need to expand this practice here.

*wait a minute! I just thought about the last time I tipped and have a question?
Do you find your installer hot!!?

Reactions: WhitePine
If the guy is neat and considerate and an employee tip him.

I always tip a person that is installing or delivering large items unless it is the business owner or of they do a poor job. For the most part it is 10 bucks, maybe 20 depending on the difficulty and if requiring 2 people. Heck I tipped the kid 5 bucks that helped hand load 1/2 ton of pellets into the back of my truck 2 weeks ago.

Most of these people are not making much these days and a small gesture goes a long way, especially if they are having a bad day. I have been on that side of the fence.

Tipping should be outlawed. But it's your dough do as you want.

Give then a $20 gift card to Pizza Hut and tell them to have lunch on you. Win-Win.

Tipping should be outlawed. But it's your dough do as you want.

Give then a $20 gift card to Pizza Hut and tell them to have lunch on you. Win-Win.

Taxman?

Hey Guys

OK important time sensitive question: Do you tip the installers? The dealer is installing our stove today. If you do, how much? I mean tips are usually based on purchase price so it would be very pricey if I based it on that LOL

Tim
Tipping has become so confusing in today's society. I always tip when in doubt, because that's just how I am. My driver who delivers pellets for me pulls in an additional $100-$200 per week from customers. As the owner, when I am offered a tip, will always say thank you but ask them to keep it. Some people are adamant that I take it. If I do a delivery where the customer is not home, and they leave a tip, I always pass it on to my driver. But tipping a pellet delivery driver, or a stove installer, is not customary nor required...But ALWAYS appreciated.

I would say nix the tip and offer a cup of coffee or something. Tipping in my opinion is out of control...My local Dunks, if I don't place the change in thier cup I get a look that could knock the stink off of a sh!t wagon...

I do however tip my Zumba instructor....

A fresh hot cup of coffee and or a nice grinder is always appreciated for lunch. Also treating them like humans and offering to let them use the bathroom etc when you show up. Little things like that can get you great extra service. Tip entirely optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.