Tip ups

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Has anybody made any? I kinda want to fool around with it, but I keep coming back to the sad fact the cost would be the same or more likely less to buy them.

I guess it's really not about the cost, but tinkering with something factor.

I think I bought my tip ups for $5 each years ago.

Matt

Never made any, bought some modern high-tech ones after the season on sale a few years back. I remember seeling a lot of ice fishing stuff on sale on CL after the warm winter last year.

I have pretty basic ones. They have a tube, more or less of a sleeve that the actuator rod goes through to prevent the rod from freezing. Mine are pretty much oak with thumbscrews at the pivots. You'd have to source the spool and some rods to make it happen. It is doable. Probably a few bucks more than buying them. I'd probably make one of a few different wood species with inlayed wood. Ha, it could be some fun.

I was reading on a site last night about PVC ones where the "flag" was a cylinder (with the string wrapped around it) that was painted orange on half of it and when the fish took the line it spun the cylinder alerting you to the fish on the line. For the cost of PVC I'll try to make one, but it would be so light I'd expect it to fly across the ice in a good wind.

Matt

I had to look up tip downs on the net. I have never seen them. It is amazing how complicated they can make equipment to suit fishing needs. I'm itching to get out now.

Saturday was the first time out for me. 3 hours and 3 misfires. A guy about 150 yards from us brought home a few black crappies. I was just fooling around on the net last night and found a pic of a 22lb northern that was caught in a pond not 5 miles from my house. The funny thing is I never thought of fishing that pond. I think I'll have to make a visit. Last year I didn't get out at all with the warm temps.

Matt

Same here. Last two years I did not go out at all. Local ponds give us flags usually every 20 minutes. We will jig a hole or two for perch or crappie while waiting for the flags. There is a local pond that I warm weather fish but not ice fish that I would like to try. Not many pike around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.