Tipping the Chimney sweep?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arctickat

Oct 6, 2008
Fairbanks, ak
Live in a small town. A very small cold town. Purchased a Blaze King princess (2400.) and an install (700) plus and Excell chimney system from the local dealer. Oh and then the hearth (400). After 4 months of burning asked the same store to clean the chimney.
After a morning install they arrived and did the sweep. They had to replace the Excell black pipe cause it would'nt slip. Charged (135) for the sweep which I paid gladly..but they performed the work at -45F. Didn't tip..was that bad form?

I've been to Fairbanks in the winter a few times working. Wages & prices are very $$$ in Alaska and $135 for a sweep is dirt cheep. I'd through some $$ at them for that kind of weather.

Maybe they were tipping you, since you have been a reliable loyal customer. Iam wondering what condition your chimney was in after 4 months. Was it just for peice of mind? By the way we are having the same cold snap and have had to do a couple of jobs outside and no-one has tipped me yet. :down: Cheers. N of 60

atvdave said:
Wages & prices are very $$$ in Alaska and $135 for a sweep is dirt cheep. I'd through some $$ at them for that kind of weather.
I agree on both counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.