Tips for a new grinder user

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Use the grinder to take down the rakers. It's the most consistent and quick tool you have for this job. You can always round off the leading edges with a file afterward, if that's important to you.
I had problems using my grinding wheel on the rakers. The rakers are wider than the wheel and I had to hit each one several times which left them uneven. Do you grind each one a few times and then even it up with a file or do you slowly move the rakers while you grind? I've been using a flat file on the rakers but I'm slow at it and I have to measure each one. For many guys, sharpening by hand is the best way to go but I would't be able to sharpen my own chains without a grinder.

I had problems using my grinding wheel on the rakers. The rakers are wider than the wheel and I had to hit each one several times which left them uneven. Do you grind each one a few times and then even it up with a file or do you slowly move the rakers while you grind? I've been using a flat file on the rakers but I'm slow at it and I have to measure each one. For many guys, sharpening by hand is the best way to go but I would't be able to sharpen my own chains without a grinder.

Flat file and the gauge tool make it quick and easy. Using a file makes it easy to keep the shape of the rakers as well. Or switch to a 1/4" wheel on the grinder and go 'round again after the cutters are done. But your rakers will get "flat-topped" doing it that way.

Here's a milling chain and the way I do all my chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.