Tips for installing a 6"SS flue liner .. with bends..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello One and all.
Are there any Tips for installing a 6"SS flue liner .. with bends..
Liner rubs inside the rectangular liner not too bad.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Can you pull it up from the Bottom?? I did my 8" that way and it was almost effortless.. I lifted it high enough for two guys to push the stove in once it was high enough... Mine was 25' long...

I fed from the top and had another person below. my liner was 3' longer than needed, so I "pointed" the end and attached a rope so the person below could pull. I insulated my liner, and the outside mesh kept catching on the mortar squeeze out so I duct taped a 4" masonry chisel to my chimney sticks and spent some time breaking off the bigger pieces. My liner is a 5.5" inside a 6"x12" flue, and with insulation it was beyond tight. I "ovalized" the liner with my knee and squished it down a little to make it a doable job, not much just about 1/2". My stove requires a 6" liner so it's technically undersized but draft is not a problem.

If the chimney is on the outside wall I'd make sure to insulate/seal the bottom to keep cold air pouring down.

Hello One and all.
Are there any Tips for installing a 6"SS flue liner .. with bends..
Liner rubs inside the rectangular liner not too bad.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Yeah have the old liners broken out so you can put in a properly insulated liner. Or ovalize a 7" to fit but they are hard to get through bends

Status
Not open for further replies.