Tips for new Granberg File-N-Joint Filing Guide owner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I received a Granberg File-N-Joint yesterday. It seems like a simple enough device but wondering if there are any tips people can share that would be helpful to know as I am starting out?

I have an old abused chain that I am going to practice on a few time before working on my good chains. The chain is a little rusty but I'm soaking it in chain oil before putting back on my beater WildThing. I'll cut on a few discarded crotches, see how it cuts, then see how it cuts after touching up with the Granberg. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess this filing jig isn't as popular as I thought. I spent some time using it yesterday and really like the mechanics of how it worked. It was rock solid as I filed each tooth so definitely going to be more consistent on holding the proper filing angles.

I have one very similar to the Granberg , I got off Ebay, never heard of the brand.
After a little practice it is quite easy to do a good job sharpening.
I really like it.

9edd_1.JPG

Well, I guess this filing jig isn't as popular as I thought. I spent some time using it yesterday and really like the mechanics of how it worked. It was rock solid as I filed each tooth so definitely going to be more consistent on holding the proper filing angles.

I think its pretty popular, they have been around a long time and can produce excellent results once you get it dialed in to your setup. I know I just wasnt spending any time indoors yesterday since it felt like spring for the first time :)

I dont own one, so I cant help you much with tips. But play with it, get it set up, and you should be set to really sharpen some chains.

I had a Granberg and got rid of it because I didn't care for it. I am not saying they don't work. When using a file I prefer to just do it by hand and feel.

For accurate angles a bench grinder is pretty yard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.