Tips on Burning in the Napoleoon 1400PL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomask9590

Jun 9, 2008
Portland, ME
I burnt Jotuls while I was growing up a #118 and a #4. I have never burnt in this Napoleon, it's new to me this year. I am very excited to get going but I could use some user tips on how these baby's burn. So any help would be most Appreciated. Do i need to put a hearth down or can it sit on bare floor...well on it's legs of course.

You need a hearth designed to meet at least the minimum specifications as described in the manual on page 5. Granted the info here is pretty slim.

If the stove is to be installed on a
combustible floor, it must be placed
on an approved non-combustible
hearth pad, that extends 8" (200mm)
beyond the stove sides and back,
and 18" (455mm) to the front. It must
be installed with a minimum height
of 7’ between the stove base and
the ceiling.

For some tips on how to burn here's a great video. It's not the same stove, but the principles hold true.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/cleanair-airpur/default.asp?lang=En&n=8011CD70-1

One of the bigger differences you will find is that the fire can get hotter, even with the air closed off. An extreme case would be if you have very dry wood and put it on a partially burnt, hot coal bed (in an already hot stove), let it char then close off the air. There will be massive secondary combustion (burning off of the unburnt gases). It's quite a nice light show, but can easily take the stove up several hundred degrees. Best to plan accordingly by waiting for the coals to burn down first, then adding a 2-3 larger splits, charring, then dampering down.

Status
Not open for further replies.