tips on moving a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mama23

Jan 7, 2015
Leavenworth, WA
ok - might seem silly question.

looks like we might be purchasing a used jotul black bear. weighs 320# or so. how does one move one of these things? we have a truck & would be able to transport that way, but honestly can't quite figure out how to get it in there.

any tips or tricks, greatly appreciated.

Get wheels under it. Cut a piece of plywood a bit larger than the legs' footprint. Center the stove on the plywood. Take a regular appliance dolly and slip its lip under the plywood. Take some cardboard or a blanket and put it between the stove body and the dolly. Now take a ratchet strap around the stove body and the appliance dolly. Ratchet the strap tight to make one unit out of the stove and dolly. Now moving it is a piece of cake.

Thanks @begreen .

I heard you are the resident yurt expert. would love some advice on that as well. we are in the same neck of the woods - am on N. puget sound, but yurt will be in E. WA

Thanks @begreen .

I heard you are the resident yurt expert. would love some advice on that as well. we are in the same neck of the woods - am on N. puget sound, but yurt will be in E. WA

A friend owns the yurt up in Concrete. My expertise is limited to exactly one installation.

Reactions: mama23
Sounds like an experience base building here.

Get an easy breathing stove. Yurt chimneys are short.

It means a stove that works well with less draft. Most stoves are tested and designed to work with a 15-16 ft flue. This is to get enough draft to pull air through the primary and secondary manifolds. Not sure about the F118CB, it's an uncommon stove. The early ones had problems and I haven't heard much about them since. The original F118 was a strong heater and not very fussy about chimney height. The other thing to think about in the yurt will be clearances. In a small yurt this becomes pretty important. One stove that should work well would be the Pacific Energy Alderlea T4. It is cooler on the sides and will work with a 12ft. flue.
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacaldert4.htm

I was looking at the alder lea as well - its beautiful. just a lot more expensive I think, as I can get the jotul used. - but that is important info to check into.

Would that used stove be the original F118 or the new clean burning F118CB?

How large is the yurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.