Tips on quotes for re-siding a house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had vinyl on two houses and I don't like it. Even with the added maintence I'd rather have a good wood-based siding. There are white pine clapboads (rift-sawn) on 200 year old homes in my town that hold the paint amazingly well. Vinly has some good things about it but it never really looks that great.

I was at a 30 year old house to day with VGC siding that I mistook for a recent siding job. I asked how old was the siding job and he said 30 years, but stained every 5 years. Easy to do on a ranch, notsomuch on a big tall house.

btuser said:
I've had vinyl on two houses and I don't like it. Even with the added maintence I'd rather have a good wood-based siding. There are white pine clapboads (rift-sawn) on 200 year old homes in my town that hold the paint amazingly well. Vinly has some good things about it but it never really looks that great.

I was at a 30 year old house to day with VGC siding that I mistook for a recent siding job. I asked how old was the siding job and he said 30 years, but stained every 5 years. Easy to do on a ranch, notsomuch on a big tall house.

Have you used/seen the vinyl shake siding as opposed to the clapboard? Just as other products have become available, vinyl has changed a bit too. This is the siding i put on my house - - the discovery double 7". Everybody loves it - neighbors have stopped in their cars to tell me so. I am more of a wood guy at heart but between insects and birds, my old siding was taking a beating.

http://mastic.com/Products/Siding.aspx

No, but when I rip off the stuff on this house I'm going to be looking at it. I've seen it on a number of houses and my favorite apps are when the siding and shakes are mixed. If I was lucky enough to own a 1000sqft ranch I'd be inclined towards wood, but with this monster I'm stuck with vinyl.

Brick would be nice.

With regard to foam backed vinyl siding, I think the insulation value is useless because of the air circulation through and behind the siding. The same goes for the average installation of house wrap. If it's not sealed to the structure at every edge and penetration then the air leakage is still happening.

That is the beauty (and weakness) of exterior foam. It can be a continuous air barrier with a decent, uniform R value over the whole structure, IF it is installed and sealed with care.

Since the OP has newer windows, exterior foam and trim extensions might not be as attractive a choice as if he was replacing windows at the same time.

The roof flashing leaking against the wall comes from completely cutting corners, any competent roofer can do that detail in their sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.