Tire Chains for old Faithful WD Quad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
So I have a 1987 suzuki lt 185. In my opinion these are the best quads ever made. She is old but faithful and loves to haul my wood. So, I am now cutting near the end of my property and there is a large hill to get to the wood. I need top bring the wood up hill. I have monster tires on the back with square grips to them. The first few rounds I made it up the hill okay. After that the path of my tires made the trail nothing but mud and I spun out like crazy. I noticed that the mud had filled the gaps of the grips in my tires to the point where I might as well had drag slicks on the quad!!

My question is for the old two 2wd do tire chains help? Will the help in y scenario? The hill is about 18-20 feet long and at I am guessing a 50 degree slope roughly.

Pic is below of quad.

Attachments

• 105210899_1thumb_550x410.jpg
    105210899_1thumb_550x410.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,235
I can't imagine tire chains NOT helping. My garden tractor is just about unstoppable in snow, ice, and mud with chains. Spend the extra $$ for 4 link heavy duty chains. There's lots to read about chains at tirechain.com and they have them for everything.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Sounds like you should wait until conditions are better. Making ruts straight up a hill promotes serious erosion.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I meant to say 2 link not 4 link chains. Maybe less slippage will make for less digging and erosion.

Wait until the ground is frozen. That's the best advice

Craig

You can make some chains yourself from some car chains and a set of chain pliers.Check out the second hand stores for both.We have the same Quad,my daughter rides it and i have a 250 4X4 that hauls the load,iv been picking a firesmarted area,i get close to 1/4 cord on the trailer.
Thomas

Thanks all for now I will wait till the ground freezes and will buy chains in the future. Besides. with all the mud kicked up it should feel like driving on gravel once it is all frozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.