Tired of bending over for the propane man....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBCOOPER

Minister of Fire
Jan 23, 2010
Stowe, Pa
Starting planning for an insert without the fireplace. 1300 sf to heat. I'm planning on installing an insert on an outside wall, perhaps a faux chimny/mantle with a wide screen tv above. Not sure if I'll extend thru the wall or just box out inside. Any suggestions?

Come on guys, db cooper finally appears and nobody cares? Someone ought to be able to help him out. I'm sure he's got plenty of money, if thats what it takes.

DBCOOPER said:
Starting planning for an insert without the fireplace. 1300 sf to heat. I'm planning on installing an insert on an outside wall, perhaps a faux chimny/mantle with a wide screen tv above. Not sure if I'll extend thru the wall or just box out inside. Any suggestions?

I'm curious.... why not get a free standing if you lack the fireplace for an insert? Is it the look your after?

Its the look and space.

pelletinsertlocation.jpg

offjack said:
Come on guys, db cooper finally appears and nobody cares? Someone ought to be able to help him out. I'm sure he's got plenty of money, if thats what it takes.

Propane guy got it all.....

offjack said:
Does that wall go directly outside?

Yes. Its about 2 1/2 feet above grade at the center of the tv at floor level.

You know.... we also put our Pellet stove where our TV used to be. Because the pellet stove was going to displace the TV I was able to talk the wife into letting me purchase a brand new LCD TV that I can mount on the wall. It might be worth a try! ;-)

Are you dead set on putting it there?

Honestly, I know you probably don't want to re-arrange your entire livingroom but is there any place on the wall with the window? If you get appropriate piping and OAK then you only need to be 18" away from the windows

mainegeek said:
You know.... we also put our Pellet stove where our TV used to be. Because the pellet stove was going to displace the TV I was able to talk the wife into letting me purchase a brand new LCD TV that I can mount on the wall. It might be worth a try! ;-)

Now you're talking! Put a nice FS stove right where the TV & stand is now, and a nice 42" LCD flat screen right above it.

You can work on, or fill the stove without ever having to take your eyes off the screen.........OH YEAH!!!! ;-)

What they said. I have an insert due to the fact I had a fireplace and a small livingroom. But if I had a choice I would have a free standing unit. Pain in the azz to move stove to get to clean out and everything. With all the money you are gonna save put in a nice hearth, and huge TV. ;-)

Schoondog

Shoondog hit on the head, you would be better off with a free standing stove because of the ease of maint. issues. Which you will have no matter what stove you buy.

offjack said:
Shoondog hit on the head, you would be better off with a free standing stove because of the ease of maint. issues. Which you will have no matter what stove you buy.

I'm an insert owner and I agree completely. Plus most freestanding units hold a lot more pellets as well.

SXIPro said:
I'm an insert owner and I agree completely. Plus most freestanding units hold a lot more pellets as well.

Very true! The Astoria FS I used to have had a hopper that would hold about 120 lb......the same unit as an insert had a max of 80.

DB Cooper ??? I can see this thread getting hijacked :lol: :cheese: :bug:

offjack said:

Lost that battle with the wife already.

DBCOOPER said:

Then tell her that SHE is the one that will have to drag the stove out and do the cleaning. :)

See! Problem solved. Hey, your DB COOPER!!! You can do what you want!!! :lol:

macman said:
DBCOOPER said:

Then tell her that SHE is the one that will have to drag the stove out and do the cleaning. :)

See! Problem solved. Hey, your DB COOPER!!! You can do what you want!!! :lol:

I keep throwing her out of our plane..... but she likes it....

This might sound crazy but if you did that and then purchased a free standing stove and put some nice locking casters on the bottom wouldn't it be easy to pull out and still have all the nice features?

offjack said:
Then you need to PM Trickyrick and pick his brain, and get some good feedback, from someone who's already been there.
"Spoke" to Trickyrick and he got a little sidetracked completely finishing the install......something about his wife's "honeydo" list......LOL

He promised to get some more pics & info up as soon as he can.

Forget it all, back when i got into pellets circa 1999 stoves were under $2k and pellets were $134 a ton for a long time, now the price of stoves are high as with pellets and the lower cost of gas it will never pay itself off.
I had a home then with electric heat and it paid itself off in 2-3 yrs.

Some people watch and squeeze every penny, but sometimes there is more to it than just the dollar. My house is an old farmhouse, that for 20 years was always cold no matter what. We put the pellet stove in so we could have at least 1 warm room in the house. After getting the stove we were very happy that it heats the whole house quite easily. Our house has never been this warm, the wife will sneak over and crank it up til it hits 80 in the room with the stove. That would never had happened with electric,oil, or gas, ever. We go to people's new houses and the t-stat is set at 68-72, with their updated insulation and furnaces, and their houses feel cool. When they come to our house the first thing they say is how nice and warm the house is, as they head to the stove and say how much they love the stove and heat. I'll burn 6 ton at the most this year (thats a high estimate will be more like 5) which will run us about $1200 in pellets. I would hate to think what it would be if we kept our house this warm with any other means of heat(except wood).

Status
Not open for further replies.