Tis the Hearth Season my Friends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Many of us have new snow on the ground, perhaps fresh fallen today, many have had snow for a while. It's cold, been cold enough to really need your stove, not just a wistful burn in anticipation. Ice locks in some and their fires heat in ernest. Yes, looking back, it's actually been cold for some time now, hasn't it?, and the forecast for most of us calls for more of that stuff, right now! Ice, snow, cold rain, wind, it's here. Funny really, it's still only fall. Winter has come by like the guest who showed up too early and you know it's going to be around for a while, months in fact. The wood you've got is the wood you've got, hope you've got enough cause ain't much that's any good gonna be found now. Fire's are lit and your heater stands up to be tested. Too small? Don't really have burning it down quite pat? If you've been here for some time, then I know you should be warm and toasty. Enjoy the lick of flames against the glass. Settle down in the warmth of your hard work; savor the wiff of oak or hickory, cedar or fir, a bit of apple perhaps. Bask in the glow of friends come by to warm and chat, the dog curled on the blanket in the flicker of the flames, those you love content in the comfort of your home at the end of the day. Yes, for most all of us here, that special season appears. So raise a glass, pull up your favorite chair and settle in, for it once again, tis truly the Hearth season my friends. Welcome!

I think that "Acquit" line is probably the single most famous line of the 20th century, although "I am not a crook" might also be in the ranking....ah, but that is an ash can thread for another time. Meanwhile, powder snow and my neighbor went around and did everyones drive (for free and without being asked) with his plow. Good to have friendly neighbors with a plow truck...oh, and it just so happens that Martha officiated at their wedding three weeks ago! (in Ma., anyone can officiate for a day).

But we do have to resurrect some of those old threads and articles. Mike, just use that google site search - I bet the work "poem" would have found it right quick.

Personally, I enjoy (and I wrote) the "Value of the Yuletide Flame" story:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/stories/articles/value_of_flame/

Status
Not open for further replies.