1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Titanium hammer issues

Post in 'The Gear' started by Foragefarmer, May 24, 2013.

1. Foragefarmer

Foragefarmer Member

Loc:
    Central, Virginia
    I own a Stiletto TBII15 framing hammer. It was a gift from my ex-BIL a number of years ago. I use it daily for my business. And it was given to me because at the time I had tennis elbow issues which the new hammer helped to solve.

Although the hammer is Titanium, the head is steel and replaceable. So about 1.5 years ago I replaced the head. It wore out mighty fast and I had to replace the head again about 3 months ago this head has shown almost no wear. I believe inferior steel was used in the old head.

[​IMG]

As a result, I have contacted the company. Note a new head is $37 which is more than I paid for my backup framing hammer. The hammer new is $270. Although I am past any warranty claim, I felt the company should know about the poor quality of steel in the older head.

Am I right?
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScotO

ScotO Guest

At $270.00 per hammer, I think you are ABSOLUTELY justified in a complaint to the company. And at $37.00 per face, I'd be on them for a free replacement. You may not get anywhere, but who knows. Maybe they'll send a free replacement face for it.

I'm guessing they subcontracted the heads out to different companies, maybe......and one of those companies used a cheap alloy to make their faces. Most likely made in China......;hm
    Thistle likes this.
  3. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Saw one of those at a local place, and thought "ooooh, I want one of those".
    Then, I saw the price.
    I don't frame for a living though.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. JoeyD

JoeyD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Jersey
    Do you buy hammers for the government? !!!<>;lol

Just kidding, I believe a tool that works can be priceless. I would complain without expecting to get anything but at the same time hoping the company might do the right thing.
  5. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    You'll have a much better chance if you can send them the faulty head, but I doubt you still have it.
  6. blwncrewchief

blwncrewchief Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern, IN
    I know quite a few framers with Stiletto's and I have not heard a complaint about the faces so I would say yes it was a defect. Most likely it was not heat treated correctly after machining. I would contact them and being a professional quality tool I would expect a replacement if it only lasted 3 months.
  7. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    How is anybody here going to decide that either way?
    Jack Fate likes this.
  8. Foragefarmer

Foragefarmer Member

Loc:
    Central, Virginia
    I have been on a river trip catching many smallmouth bass the last few days.

I thought a photo was worth a thousand words. The photo contains the old worn out face and the new face that has been seeing the same daily use and is showing nearly no wear.

It wasn't so much the the fact that the face wore flat, although it did, it was the threads in the face stripped out.

I sent the above photo to Stiletto as part of the email.

Note in the above post the hammer was a gift, I would not have bought the hammer myself. Now that I own it though it is fantastic. Maybe not $270 fantastic though.

Sort of surprised this thread got moved from the inglenook since it isn't woodcutting gear related.