TLC 2000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmbDrvr253

Minister of Fire
Aug 4, 2015
Northeast PA
SACRILEDGE! I put COAL in my stove today. Forecast for more seasonal temps in low 40's now. Gonna be coal from now until spring. :ZZZ::F;em

Good for you! I burn coal all winter for as long as I can remember.
Unless it was free I would never be bothered going back to wood. The other night it was 13 degrees at night. Coal stove simmered on 450 deg for 12 hours straight. Woke up the house was 76. Can't do that with a wood stove.

You may not like it that warm overnight and thats fine.
But don't you tell me that that statement is nonsense.
No way in hell is a wood stove going to hold at 450 for twelve hours and still be holding that temp.
Would've lasted longer but I tended as I was going out.

And to add to that. I got up, got ready and then shook the stove, filled it, and walked out the door. Stove tending took about 2 minutes. Something else you can't do with a wood stove. Especially not after a 12 hour burn.

You may not like it that warm overnight and thats fine.
But don't you tell me that that statement is nonsense.
No way in hell is a wood stove going to hold at 450 for twelve hours and still be holding that temp.
Would've lasted longer but I tended as I was going out.
There are folks in Alaska with no coal that would disagree. A Blaze King King cat stove will hold that temp for over 12 hrs. It is tested at 51,582 BTU's/h constant output for 12 hours, 15,475 BTU's/h for up to 40 hours.
http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-king.html
Their 3 cu ft stoves will also do a 12 hr burn easily, but at a bit lower btu output. A reload takes all of a minute or two, nothing more.

Yeah right.
My neighbor has a Blaze King. He can never get a steady 12+ hr burn @450.
I would love to see a 3 cft non cat stove be holding steady at 450 after 12 + hours. In ones dreams maybe.

A reload from coals to "stepping out the door for the day" takes nothing more than a few mins.
Sure.

Nobody said anything about Alaska or people with no access to coal. You said that!

There's several hundred posts in the main forum where BK owners would be happy to tell you all about their stoves, loading, running and long burn times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.