To All the Hearth Nerds....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ambull01

Feeling the Heat
Nov 11, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
Thank you all so much! I've been reading through this site religiously for several weeks. I grew up in Hawaii so never learned about burning wood for heat as a kid and only used "set it and forget it" heating sources since I've lived on the mainland.

I just put in a new fireplace insert into my really old Victorian style house built in 1891. Windows are probably original lol. Put in a block off plate and sealed all the cracks with high heat caulking. The draft seems great so far. Only had couple fires but colder weather is right around the corner.

The first fire was a test to see if it would draft properly. My father in-law helped with the stove installation (well, to be honest, did most of the work) and wanted to ensure everything would work properly. I read about the top down fire here so I figured I would give it a try. In-laws were looking at me like I was crazy. They said "umm, you're supposed to put the kindling UNDER the logs." Jeez, stupid Hawaii boy. Anyway, the freaking top down fire worked! Although, I need to read about the method again because I'm not sure if I was supposed to but normal size logs under the kindling or just larger kindling then logs after they become coals. So many things to learn with this wood burning business.

Fire was going great at this point. The primary air control is wide open. I've been reading about burning wood for so long I'm like a kid in a candy store. I was peering into the stove to figure out how it works. I saw the baffles I've been reading so much about. Finally the secondary combustion gets going. I kind of freak out and shout "secondary combustion!" At this point I have to explain to them what I'm talking about. Funny thing is, in-laws have been burning wood for years and never heard of secondary combustion. They have a catalytic converter free standing stove.

So once again, thank you everyone for taking the time to freely educated people like myself. I still have a lot to learn but I believe all my questions have already been answered somewhere on this site.

P.S. All is not sunshine and rainbows. Glass built up residue so I guess I'm under-firing. Cleaned that off today. Insert is TINY but free so I can't complain too much (in-laws bought it as a house warming gift). I can't seem to close the primary air all the way down without the fire smoldering. Oh yeah, sorry about the extremely long post. Can you tell I'm excited to be a new wood burner?

Pics Jar Head. Pics!

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: ambull01
Congratulations! I understand your feelings as I'm a new burner myself ( sort of). Anyway, what kind of insert do you have? What are your outdoor temps?

Attachments

• IMG_20141111_210117.jpg
    IMG_20141111_210117.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 354
That'll keep ya warm when those cold winds blow over there on the Eastern Shore.

You know the next question. How is the wood supply?

Congratulations! I understand your feelings as I'm a new burner myself ( sort of). Anyway, what kind of insert do you have? What are your outdoor temps?

Well I really, really wanted to heat the whole house with wood but in-laws bought a tiny insert. It's a Century CW2500. I was looking on CL for a used free standing but they unexpectedly bought us this. Really wanted more of a Cadillac wood burner but got a little Kia instead.

Outdoor temps have been really mild, maybe in the upper 40s. A cold front is coming I believe, temps should drop down the the mid 20s by weeks end.

Love your description of your first top down burn complete with your father in-law thinking you're a goof for putting the kindling on top. I'm surprised you've had a cold enough day to burn in MD. I'm up in CT and still waiting for the first good draft night. I'm waiting eagerly for the cold air coming on Thursday. Don't feel too bad about the buildup on the glass. I burn pretty darn hot and still get some residue. As you'll find out, burning is an art form of sorts since every setup is different.

That'll keep ya warm when those cold winds blow over there on the Eastern Shore.

You know the next question. How is the wood supply?

Was that a joke? :)

Just moved to the eastern shore in April, this will be my first winter here. Moved over from Annapolis area and APG area before that. I have no idea how the winters are here but I would imagine it will be milder.

Wood supply is so so. I bucked a bunch of big logs in my in-laws property. It's poplar and there's some oak too that I need to get. Poplar has been sitting in their field for about 2 years but I still think it's a little wet. I used a splitter and there was water coming out of a few. Oak was standing dead I believe. It's a sort of last minute venture this year. Ideally I want about 3 years worth of firewood CSS.

Congrats! Stick around and you will soon be a fire nerd yourself. What material is the mantel/trim made off? And do you know what is under the hearth?

That 2500 will toss a bunch of heat.

Don't even think about trying to burn wet Poplar. Fine in a year or so but nothing but grief and crud in the chimney wet.

Congrats! Stick around and you will soon be a fire nerd yourself. What material is the mantel/trim made off? And do you know what is under the hearth?

I hope so. I want this whole wood burning/chainsaw thing to become a hobby. Always loved being out in the woods, using a chainsaw, smell of fires, etc.

Ahhh, not sure. You know what, I think it's wood. Woops. I think it's brick straight down, unless I'm confused about your hearth question. Sorry, I'm a wood burning idiot.

Have you heard about the 2500? I hope it's adequate.

Crap, that's what I was afraid of. In-laws said it would be ready to burn but I wasn't so sure.

I think that ship has already sailed if he was excited with his secondaries!

lol. Heard the in-laws was teasing me about the secondaries. I have the kids looking for the secondary combustion too. My eyes light up when I start talking about burning wood. Wife doesn't seem to care at all! Really frustrating. I think the secondaries kind of look like the northern lights.

On the top down, experiment if you want but bottom line is "whatever freakin works" ;)

Congrats on the insert and thanks for your service.

Love your description of your first top down burn complete with your father in-law thinking you're a goof for putting the kindling on top. I'm surprised you've had a cold enough day to burn in MD. I'm up in CT and still waiting for the first good draft night. I'm waiting eagerly for the cold air coming on Thursday. Don't feel too bad about the buildup on the glass. I burn pretty darn hot and still get some residue. As you'll find out, burning is an art form of sorts since every setup is different.

Oh I missed this. You're right, it probably wasn't cold enough but I couldn't wait. Draft seemed great though. Or it could be I have no idea what a good draft is supposed to look like.

Little hint. If the in-laws are my age in a year or two if you want a different insert put it in and they won't notice the difference. ;lol

Reactions: ambull01
On the top down, experiment if you want but bottom line is "whatever freakin works" ;)

Congrats on the insert and thanks for your service.

I kind of like the top down. Think it really helped to heat up the flue and kept smoke down. First time I did it with just kindling then placed logs on top after it was nice and hot. Second time I placed logs and all in. Logs lit but it was taking too long. I dumped the kindling off and placed logs on the embers.

Thanks buddy. Funny thing is, I HATED the Corps. I don't like people telling me what to do all the time. It's a miracle I've lasted so long (also in the Army NG). I'm still glad I did it though.

Ahhh, not sure. You know what, I think it's wood.

If that trim is really wood you should check the manual carefully. I am pretty sure you don't have enough clearance.
I think it's brick straight down, unless I'm confused about your hearth question. Sorry, I'm a wood burning idiot.

The hearth is the floor under and around the insert. If that is fully brick several layers deep you are fine. If it is just one layer over wood beams you are in trouble. Is there a basement below? Could you check the ceiling there?

Little hint. If the in-laws are my age in a year or two if you want a different insert put it in and they won't notice the difference. ;lol

I was thinking about that lol. Wife wasn't too happy with that plan. I'm already trying to figure out how I can get a better chainsaw to cut more wood. I want to fill my whole back yard with stacks of sweet dry firewood. Just hope I don't burn my house down before I can burn it all.

Marines to Army. Right direction. ::-)

Reactions: rasp21
If that trim is really wood you should check the manual carefully. I am pretty sure you don't have enough clearance.

The hearth is the floor under and around the insert. If that is fully brick several layers deep you are fine. If it is just one layer over wood beams you are in trouble. Is there a basement below? Could you check the ceiling there?

From stove top to beginning of mantle thingy should be 10", I'm good there. Side of insert to side mantle should be 10" as well. I think I'm a little short there. The first white part is some kind of brick. I may have to cut out some of the side wood section for clearance.

Forgot the hearth. It's fully brick. I crawled under there a week ago.

Marines to Army. Right direction. ::-)

I was also in the Air Guard for a couple of months. :)

Recruiter kind of stretched the truth so I didn't feel like sticking around. I don't remember how I got them to release me. I have the DD214 to prove it though. All I need is the Navy and Coast Guard and I'll be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.