To All the Hearth Nerds....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy, take the baffle down while the stove is cool, stick your smartphone into the stove and take video of the inside of the liner, then play back and you can see build up from the bottom. Now having said that most of your build up will be on the top as the bottom runs hot so you would still want to sweep or visually check the top.

As for bottom up cleaning check out the sooteater I mentioned ealier: http://gardusinc.com/sooteater.html

I haven't mentioned it yet with everything else going on, but I would recommend insulating the liner (yes more cost), always a good thing to do that as it helps draft and helps reduce creosote buildup.

Cool, thanks for that explanation. I was thinking about getting one of those snake camera contraptions. Father in-law has one that I can borrow. I'll compare the two options and see which one works best.

Definitely getting that sooteater. Kind of nice to have all the info I need right here in one thread.

Yep, going to do the liner insulation as well. May as well spend a little more to make everything optimal

Mmm, beef. I kind of like working on things so I don't have a huge problem with projects, just wanted to use this insert for the winter. One of the main reasons I wanted to burn wood was to not be so reliant on electricity. It always sucks to go without power and thought with a wood stove plus my propane cooktop I could be comfortable while everyone else in the area is spooning for warmth.

The roof is steep. Wife said I could just climb out the window onto the roof. Jeez, sometimes I have no idea what she's thinking. If I climb out the attic window onto the roof I will fall right off. There's nothing to hold onto. First story roof is much easier. Base sweeping sounds like the way I have to go. I would want to sweep this thing weekly just to be sure my family is safe at night.

She may be thinking . . . it's time to increase the pay out on his life insurance policy. ;) :)

Reactions: ambull01
Status
Not open for further replies.