to bark or not to bark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bag of hammers

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2010
Northern ON
I have seasoned maple in the pile anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 years sitting. On many (most) splits the bark just falls off in one big chunk as I'm grabbing it up for the inside fire. I used to throw them around for my retriever (it was one of his favorite games). Now I just toss them off to the side, like scrap, and throw them in the outside fire later on. Is this a waste of good heat? Should I be burning all this stuff in the inside stove? How is a pile of bark vs clean wood as far as creosote, etc. is concerned...?

I prefer my "nighttime splits" without bark. It lets me cram more wood in the stove for a longer burn. I have alot of chestnut oak with thick bark. If I dont need to pack the stove tight, I leave it on. Bark is btu's, just not as good as wood.

This, of course, is if it comes off easily. By no means do I put any real thought or effort into wether my splits have bark or not.

If the bark is still on, and loose as yours is, I peel and toss.
Bark to me, seems to leave more ash, and takes up space that wood could be replacing it with. Not really a big deal either way, but if its coming off, it is cleaned off and tossed here. Not to mention that is where most insects make a home, between the bark & the wood.

Hogwildz said:
Bark to me, seems to leave more ash, and takes up space that wood could be replacing it with..

Yep, it does seem to leave more ash and not have as much BTU as the wood. If its loose, I toss it, but I am not going to put any blood, sweat or tears into removing it.

Jags said:
Hogwildz said:
Bark to me, seems to leave more ash, and takes up space that wood could be replacing it with..

Yep, it does seem to leave more ash and not have as much BTU as the wood. If its loose, I toss it, but I am not going to put any blood, sweat or tears into removing it.
+2 Not to mention that loose bark likes to harbor unwanted wintering insects. I peel the loose bark off of everything that comes into the house, and you would not believe some of the critters that hide in that loose bark.....

If it is loose, we finish removing it and toss it aside. Like others have stated, you can burn it but you get a lot of ashes for the little heat you get. If you were tight on your wood supply, then burn it during the daytime hours and get what heat you can get or simply mix it in with the regular loads. I don't like messing with it and the bugs that come with it.

I like to peel that bark off it comes off easily but do not put any extra effort into it. It seems like most of the maple I have around will do that especially if it has been in the stack for 2 years or more.

If the bark is loose, take it off.
Saves a big mess in the house along with the above reasons. :)

Thanks everyone for the comments. Don't feel so bad about leaving the stuff outside now...

Bark = Kindling. If it falls off I throw it in a bucket and use it for kindling. works great for me, oak, elm, and black jack all have awesome bark for kindling.

seeyal8r said:
Bark = Kindling. If it falls off I throw it in a bucket and use it for kindling. works great for me, oak, elm, and black jack all have awesome bark for kindling.

+1 I use it to get things going works great for me. I don't worry about the ash I have to empty anyways.

I use it for kindling and for a muddy walkway by my shed. It seems to make more ash than the rest of the wood.

If it's loose, then off with it! I just spread it around my wood processing area to keep the mud and grasses down and to rid the area of ankle breakers.

I keep oak bark for kindling - pretty dense stuff - the rest sees the fire pit. Cheers!

Everytime I bark the wife tries to kick me out the back door to do my business.

You old dog, you. Try howling instead of barking at her.

I save some for kindling, some for mulch, some for around the woodpiles. I spend hundreds on mulch every year so I might as well get some free stuff. I never work at taking it off, it just shows up.

I like to shred sugar maple bark and smoke it in a small pipe, or roll a "fatty" in a Zig Zag. Goes great with a PBR and TV golf on a winter Sunday...

zeke said:
I like to shred sugar maple bark and smoke it in a small pipe, or roll a "fatty" in a Zig Zag. Goes great with a PBR and TV golf on a winter Sunday...

I read this forum daily and rarely do I see something new, especially in a thread regarding bark. I have to say this is a use of bark I would never have thought of.

Got Wood said:
zeke said:

I read this forum daily and rarely do I see something new, especially in a thread regarding bark. I have to say this is a use of bark I would never have thought of.
The Indians here in the midwest used the inner bark of dogwoods to smoke in their pipes.

Never really been too concerned about maximizing the space in my firebox by removing the bark . . . but when the bark falls off naturally in the stack or in the woodshed I generally just toss the bark to the side to burn later in the fire pit or I toss it in front of the woodshed to keep down the grass and weeds.

Got Wood said:
zeke said:

That one did make me smile. Also reminded me of this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6vyTM_qJAE

If it is loose i peal it off.

Also bark makes a mess in the house so i try to take it off the wood if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.