To Build A Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
I've posted on this topic before, as have many others. However, I've refined my technique and I'd like to share what I've learned and see what the current thinking is.

I do a brand-new fire every day, since a typical day is only a 7 hour burn. Coals don't last long enough to be helpful.

Here's the process - maybe 10 minutes tops, including splitting kindling:
  1. Tear a full sheet of newspaper in half. Wad up and insert both pieces partway into nozzle from the top.
  2. Place a flat(ish) slab of wood on each side of the nozzle, making a 'V'.
  3. Criss-cross a small handful of kindling over the paper.
  4. Build upwards with successively larger pieces until the firebox is half full.
  5. Crumple a full sheet of newspaper an place under the nozzle (bottom chamber).
  6. With the damper open and top door closed, light the newspaper. Leave the bottom door partly cracked.
  7. As soon as the newspaper above catches (about 10 seconds), turn on the fan and close the bottom door. Leave damper open.
  8. Monitor flue temp. When it reaches about 200 on my magnetic stick-on, (about 4-5 minutes) close the damper.
That's it. In about 30 minutes, return, stir the coals, and fill the firebox. I've had exactly one time when this didn't work perfectly in the whole season to date.

Hi I have a Eko 40 with 1000 gallons of storage. I burn jack pine exclusively 1 to 2 loads a day, new fire each time as well, no coal starts.

For me getting the damper closed ASAP is of highest importance as burn is uncontrolled when open and minimizing the time open minimizes the likely hood of distraction and the risk resulting from an uncontrolled burn.

1. Small splits over nozzle
2. load boiler to top
3. damper open, top door closed, bottom door open, insert propane torch into nozzle through bottom door. Wait till you hear crackling (around a minute), pull torch out.
4. let burn for 1-2 minutes.
5. Close bottom door, close damper, start fan.
6. Done 5 minutes, no smoke in the room, no worries

I hear you about the distraction thing - seems more of a problem lately. I have a thermocouple in the flue with a rule that sounds an alarm if the flue temp gets too high.

Seems like the difference is that you don't turn on the fan until you close the damper (your step 5). For me, I get a *lot* of smoke during your step 4 if I don't have the fan running.

I have a digital timer stuck to the front of the boiler like a refrigerator decoration. I grab it as I take out a match. It goes in my pocket (counting down from 5 minutes) before I strike the match. At 5 minutes the fire is always ready to close the downdraft damper and cruise control is thus engaged.

As long as I use the timer I'm good.

My Burnham is a bottom grate design. The grate opening is about 4" wide by about 16" long. I put a few pieces of ripped up 4 by 6 cardboard stacked about 4 or five pieces high at the center of the grate. Then about 6 to 8 pieces of dry kindling, usually a couple 1/2 wide splits of some old red cedar clapboard and some split kindling, no more than 1x1 with all four faces split. I pile them randomly on the cardboard. I them loose pile wood on top of the cardboard and kindling usually starting with small rounds no more than 2" dia or split wood no more than 2 by 3. On top of that layer I lay on large wood. I then open the ash door that accesses under the grate and roll up 5 pieces of real newspaper (no coated paper) and stick them into the ash pit under the grate. Then light the end of the newspaper and wait with the ash door open until I hear the fire roaring, usually 1 to 2 minutes. I then shut the ash door and give it 20 minutes. It usually takes about 4 fillings from light off to charge up the storage from its low limit. In theory if I run it right, the damper never closes on the stove so its burning real clean at full throttle except the initial light off.

On the rare occasions that my kindling or wood isn't as dry as I expected, I keep some birch bark in stock and do a relight with a mix of newspaper and birchbark. This rarely happens but occasionally fresh wood from the wood pile may have some ice on it that I didn't notice. Once the refractory pit on either side of the grate warms up, I can burn just about anything. If the firebox wasn't so small I would love to add secondary air on the unit but the heat exchanger section is huge on the unit so I will get to live with it as is and dream of a small Tarm when it eventually wears out.

I find that the more ash is built up in the upper chamber, the longer it takes to get gasification. The ash seems to insulate the refractory which causes it to take longer to heat.
Certainly, the drier the wood and kindling, the quicker to reach gasification. If you have old charred coals - even better.
I usually get a small amount of smaller splits burning well with kindling beneath then load the firebox. I do this with the bottom door open, top closed, bypass open and blower on. Without the blower on (bypass open), I agree with Nofo, it is too rich which causes excessive smoke.
I will have to try a full loading as you describe, I assumed it would take even longer to burn up through as the wood on top would block flame travel.

I wish I could see exactly what's happening during the startup. With the fan going and the damper open, the fire is likely getting lots of air from below (from the nozzle inlets) and from above. The net flow is almost completely upwards, as there's no smoke or heat in the bottom chamber.

Timer shuts down with coals left from previous burn.

1. Rake charcoal over nozzle, Light from above with propane cane torch.
2 .Place crumpled paper over coals (I get 3'wide rolls of paper from Printing company in town, newspaper thickness)
3. Small splits, paper, larger splits 60-70lbs.
4. Light paper from above with cane torch.
5. Close door, set timer for 2 hours turn on fan.
6. When flue temp is climbing usually just a few minutes to 140-150 degrees, Close damper.
7. Come back in 1 hour and 50 minutes if home and throw in more wood if needed.

gg

Mine is almost exact same as post 1, except that the second ball of paper in no.5 goes on the top of everything. I leave my bottom secondary chamber door out, spark up the top wad, then about 10 seconds or so later spark up the bottom one. Leave as is for a couple of minutes, the fire builds pretty quick. Then I put the secondary door (window thingie) back in, wait another few minutes (usually while staging wood for the full burn), open the wood door, give the fire a poke to make sure no bridging started, then close up & close bypass. That's all to get my draft established, since I don't have the benefit of a draft fan - but I usually get gasification going pretty good in about 5 minutes after initial lighting. Then a half hour or so later, I come back & load it full. Which I guess on a re-read is also the same as post 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.