To build a wood shed ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauly

Aug 22, 2009
Virginia - North Carolina
this is my first year of an in home full time wood stove. And I have decided that I want to build a wood shed near to the house that will properly season my wood and keep it dry. In years past I simply would store logs in uncut lengths out of doors and cut them up and store in the shop for a few weeks to dry before using.

I am looking for design ideas that would hold about 2 cords of wood and be fairly inexpensive to build, but will lat for 20 years or more.. I have thought about open sides with a simple frame system and a tarped roof ( which would be periodically replaced), but am looking for other ideas from you folks. In my climate any wood left on the ground is failrly well unusable after one summer due to termites, wood borers and rot fungus. I dont want to lean to to an existing structure due to termite issues in my area.

thanks for any help or ideas.

Look for pressure treated material being discarded for a deck. Most times the wood is still usable.

I think the main concern is getting the wood up off the ground. The ground is always damp, and like you said, any wood in contact with ground is going to rot, or at least never dry out. There are lots of ways to get the wood off the ground, like gravel, cinder blocks, pallets, etc., but a solid, permanent platform would be really convenient. I might consider building the bottom of the shed first - put in corner posts and a deck a foot or so off the ground, with lots of space between deck boards to allow air flow. Worry about the roof later. In North Carolina you've got to worry more about contact with the ground than wood burners farther north do, and you're probably not burning a whole lot of wood, so a shed is more realistic for you than for a guy who burns 12 cords a year in Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.