To burn furring strips or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2013
West Chester, PA
I have various lumber stacked around the house.
Was curious other than the obvious pressure treated not being recommended for burning and pine possibly causing creosote buildup; what is wrong with letting pine furring strips out to dry and turning them into kindling?

Nothing, burn away :)
Most on here burn lots of pine and have no issue. Pine causing creosote is a common belief but doesn't hold much truth. Look it up in past forums. Been discussed here a lot.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: PapaDave
Furring strips should be pretty dry when you buy them unless they have been in a wet situation such as stacked on the ground. Pine doesn't cause creosote, burning wet wood and cool fires causes creosote. Furring strips should definitely NOT burn cool, since they are likely very dry and in thin strips. Don't load a whole bunch into the stove at once.

Reactions: ScotO
Great kindling. Usually very dry.

Burn away . . . burned a few of these myself as kindling.

I have various lumber stacked around the house.
Was curious other than the obvious pressure treated not being recommended for burning and pine possibly causing creosote buildup; what is wrong with letting pine furring strips out to dry and turning them into kindling?

Welcome to the forum.

Pretty much everyone on this forum knows that the old tale about pine causing creosote is not true. Nothing wrong with burning pine as long as it is dry. We too have burned cut-offs from furring strips and they come in handy during the fall when you first start burning because you don't want long fires then. So get them and burn them; enjoy the heat.

Reactions: ScotO
Good kindling.

Folks in the PNW would all have plugged chimneys if pine was the cause of creosote.
Dry is key for any wood.

Nothing wrong with burning those old lath or furring strips. Nothing wrong with burning pine either, for that matter.
I wouldn't want to pack the stove completely full of a bunch of that dried lath, though.......it'd spike the temp in a hurry if you had a drafty stove!!

The big thing with wood.is the drier, the better! Poorly seasoned wood is what's mainly responsible for the creosote

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I burn piles of lathe boards that i get out of houses i rehab.THey get my downdraft HArman 300 -TL stove up to temp fast. THe do however smoke quite a bit on start up. THe harman can handle them and remain smoke free but my englander 30 stoves will smoke somewhat even when up to operating temps on a large diet of lathe. The are very dry as they may have been inside walls for a hundred years.

Nothing wrong with burning those old lath or furring strips. Nothing wrong with burning pine either, for that matter.
I wouldn't want to pack the stove completely full of a bunch of that dried lath, though.......it'd spike the temp in a hurry if you had a drafty stove!!

The big thing with wood.is the drier, the better! Poorly seasoned wood is what's mainly responsible for the creosote

I wish I could find some old lath but not many home left with it. The last stuff I found we were on our way home from a wedding reception and I was wearing a suit and tie. Saw a bunch of lath by the curb and stopped. I can only imagine what folks thought seeing this guy wearing a suit and tie but loading his van with lath. ;lol

Furring strips are another story and much easier to find.

I wish I could find some old lath but not many home left with it. The last stuff I found we were on our way home from a wedding reception and I was wearing a suit and tie. Saw a bunch of lath by the curb and stopped. I can only imagine what folks thought seeing this guy wearing a suit and tie but loading his van with lath. ;lol

Furring strips are another story and much easier to find.
Too bad your so far away BW id give you a couple truck loads of lathe. I do burn it for heat but its labor intensive for the amount of heat you get. Still i have to get rid of it somehow so burn it i do.Its nice for the shoulder season when the basement where the stove is tends to be colder than the rest of the house without a fire in the stove.

That is bad Randy. Wish we were closer. I always loved to use it just as kindling. Not much left to find around this area now.

That is bad Randy. Wish we were closer. I always loved to use it just as kindling. Not much left to find around this area now.
Im tearin out dozens of walls in a 12000 SF commercial apt building im rehabbing so you can imagine how much lathe im into, so far did 4 small walls and got 2 truckloads of lathe ,not to mention a load of 2x4s. Ill be there for a few years.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.