To buy or not to buy...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dibdibu

Sep 14, 2008
holy land
To buy or not to buy...
well, as i noticed in my recent massage, i checked a twenty years old ‘Dutch West-Federal’ wood stove. in the pictures i saw on the web, it looked fine. today i went to see it and...well…
the inside of the stove is baddly rusted and it looked like it was over heated. there are few tiny holes on the body of the stove, especially on the back and near the conection to the chimney. in fact, the owner of the stove told me that he seals the cracks from the outside every year with some kind of very strong polymer but it looks cracked and broken. there are two major vertical cracks on the sides of the back. the guy told me that the only bad thing about it is that the efficiency of the stove decreased but still it works great. im not sure about how long will the stove function in the future. i attached few pictures of the inside, the back cracks and the area of the conection to the chimney.
ill appreciate your advice.

Attachments

• DSCN3099.jpg
    DSCN3099.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 447
  • DSCN3093.JPG
    DSCN3093.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCN3095.JPG
    DSCN3095.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 440
  • DSCN3097.JPG
    DSCN3097.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 456
  • DSCN3098.JPG
    DSCN3098.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCN3096.JPG
    DSCN3096.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 441
I would not consider purchasing that stove if it were myself. Cracks and holes in a stove that was probably casted in Taiwan are probably only going to get worse.

I vote "not to buy". I would rather buy a new inexpensive stove before I buy a twenty year old pre EPA wood stove with a bunch of holes.
Besides, you will be money ahead on wood savings from the new stove.

Pass on that one, gigi. Rick

Good that you asked Gigi. Word is that the early Dutchwest Federals were not of the best quality to start with and this one has had it. There is a better stove for you out there. Keep trying.

gigi said:
the guy told me that the only bad thing about it is that the efficiency of the stove decreased but still it works great.

Hmmmmm ....holes....giant cracks.......completely decimated baffle/flue area........Holy Moses !

WoodButcher

I vote send it to scrapp yard fast....... no no faster...ZZZim

let her go!

NOT!

Good decision. Keep shopping. Rick

gigi said:
well i guess there is no deal..
thanks for the good advice.

There are lots of wood burners out there, don't let this discourage you. A few pointers if I may: look for something a little newer, epa certified if possible. Lots of advantages to them. Look for a stove that doesn't need explanations of how to repair holes. :) . And by all means, get something with a window (a "real" window). Heck, thats half the fun of building a fire, the ability to watch it.

Agreed a window is one of the most important features of a stove! Last winter was my last winter with the old Fisher (no fire view), can't wait to get my new stove roaring so I can kick back and watch the flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.