To clamp or not to clamp? That is the question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
Is it optional to use clamps on my sections of class A chimney?

I fully plan to clamp all the exposed joints, but what about the joints that aren't exposed?

I'll explain the situation a bit. Installing a ZC fireplace that will be enclosed in a stud wall (no access). I have 1 section of chimney that goes up to about 3" below ceiling level. If I clamp this section I won't be able to pull the chimney up through the attic insulation shield if I ever need to remove it. I also won't be able to pull it free from the stove if I clamp it to the stove-top connector.

So here is my thought. The Duratech chimney already connects very tight and securely without the clamps. When reading the installation instructions I was given the impression that they were optional. So my thought is that if I leave the clamp to the stove and the first joint off, I can always remove that first section of chimney by reaching down through the insulation shield and pulling it up through into the attic.

Is there anything wrong with this approach? Will my chimney be properly secure without using the clamps?

<>Is it optional to use clamps on my sections of class A chimney?<>

If there are no clamps in the installation manual, you don't need them

I fully plan to clamp all the exposed joints, but what about the joints that aren’t exposed?

See above.

I’ll explain the situation a bit. Installing a ZC fireplace that will be enclosed in a stud wall (no access). I have 1 section of chimney that goes up to about 3” below ceiling level. If I clamp this section I won’t be able to pull the chimney up through the attic insulation shield if I ever need to remove it. I also won’t be able to pull it free from the stove if I clamp it to the stove-top connector.

What ZC fire place are you installing? Most do NOT have Class A chimney systems. They use (usually) a proprietary
venting system designed for a specific series of fire places...That said, if they snap together, you should be fine.
In my experience disassembly of this type of venting is a muthah..

So here is my thought. The Duratech chimney already connects very tight and securely without the clamps. When reading the installation instructions I was given the impression that they were optional. So my thought is that if I leave the clamp to the stove and the first joint off, I can always remove that first section of chimney by reaching down through the insulation shield and pulling it up through into the attic.
Is there anything wrong with this approach? Will my chimney be properly secure without using the clamps?
When snapped together correctly, those chimney sections are very secure.

You have to follow the manual. It was tested to be used in the manner directed.
Any modifications can have disastrous & potentially FATAL results.

There are no clamps on our Duratech flue. Had them on the old Selkirk, but not on the Simpson. AFAIK, there are safety tie clamps just for use on the offset elbows with Simpon Duratech. If that is the area in question, yes, use them there.

Sorry about the lack of info.

It's a Kozyheat Z42CD (woodburning) ZC fireplace (that's why it uses class A chimney).

BeGreen said:
There are no clamps on our Duratech flue. Had them on the old Selkirk, but not on the Simpson. AFAIK, there are safety tie clamps just for use on the offset elbows with Simpon Duratech. If that is the area in question, yes, use them there.

Simpson does sell regular clamps for the joints (not special clamps for the elbows), but when viewing their information I get the impression that they're only optional.

I don't have any elbows.

The place I bought my fireplace and chimney included them. I wondered why the price of the pipe was a bit high but everything else was pretty cheap. I think they include the clamps in their price of the pipe and throw them in with all the chimney stuff.

So would you not clamp it at all? Or would you recommend I use them since I have them available? I did get the chimney installed today and I put clamps on the joints that will be exposed, but I can always take them off.

I'm glad to know that I don't need to clamp the bottom 2 joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.