To code?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
My neughbor just out in a new stove. here is a pic of the new pipe he installed. i was thinking even a double walled pipe was not suppose to toucj wood ???
IMG_20131019_171622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Looks like there's more than one problem there too. Improper T support for sure. Is there a roof brace at the 5' level above the low roof? Is the 10-3-2 rule being honored for the adjacent higher roof? Lord only knows whether the thimble is correct, hope so.
If you are friendly with them tell them to come here for a checkup. If not, at least have your garden hose and extinguishers ready.

Friendly HA they hate mr for no reason and the feeling is mutual! There unfreindly uppity Yankees that think there super smart highly educated and I'm redneck trash. Funny thing is that she just got her college degree and is a TA now but she says she teaches college. She's early 40s me I have a post bachelors. But they don't bother to know me. I get along with every in town them no one. Anyway nope no brace, I'd say its far from other roofs?? Explain the numbered again. But they will get some funky draft with 2 higher roofs and a tree right next to it.

I'll go to the FD when my page goes off though and ride the truck back! If called.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are burning unseasoned wood they are setting themselves up for an unpleasant winter.

here's the 10-3-2 rule illustrated
10-3-2 rule.JPG

There easy 3 ft higher than roof but at 10 past the pipe?? That roof makes an A to a peak beyond the pipe. Basically the from large roof runs east west and the back half of hose is an A that runs north south.

They have some "Seasoned " rounds that he is spitting an arm load. At the time. Thy have been sitting behind the house for several years some about 2 some longer. It pecan wood.

They know it all so I can't tell them anything. I'm an ignorant redneck after all.

There are so many things about that installation that don't meet code it's almost wrong. Maybe make a random phone call impersonating them asking for a mechanical inspection lol. I'd be scared if my neighbor had that going on, I love my house. Might even be worth a phone call to the fire department if you know your lingo well enough to convince them it's all done wrong....

And we can't even see the inside!

And we can't even see the inside!
No doubt, they probably have single wall 8" from the wall and "rock work" there to save the day!

I bet its a super high dollar stove. That's how they doo thing. The pipe looks high quality though. They live in an old home and take forever to paint it, big he's doing it right. Bit I have lived here almost 6 years and he has been painting it since then. The refridge they have in there looked like a $2k job. They have an infinity car and a brand new jeep.

I bet its a super high dollar stove. That's how they doo thing. The pipe looks high quality though. They live in an old home and take forever to paint it, big he's doing it right. Bit I have lived here almost 6 years and he has been painting it since then. The refridge they have in there looked like a $2k job. They have an infinity car and a brand new jeep.
Sometimes it's hard to do a woodstove right when you're trying to look good driving down the road......

What the hell is this thread about, and what's its purpose?

To discuss this newly installed SS pipe. There is wood bracing touching it !!!

What's to discuss? If you have a problem with what you see, take it to them. There isn't anything we here can do about it.

Reactions: BrotherBart
I wood take the high road Clemsonfor, I know it bites to help them out, but doing the right thing may bring you trifold, it may not, but it's the right thing to do. And you do live pretty close to that......

Reactions: begreen
I posted here cause this is where the experts supposedly are. i am no expert an have a masonry chimney and a SS liner through another.
But i am pretty sure wood is not suppose to touch your pipe!!!

What the hell is this thread about, and what's its purpose?
I'm thinking it's his concern about his neighbor burning down his house.... and seeking opinions on whether it will or not.

Yep its 50 ft from my WOOD screen porch. And there is a tree between it all. And you can see on the other side of the fence I have several cords of MY wood stacked.

The irony is if their fire takes out your wood pile the insurance will no doubt pay for it in the end. But there is no way to replace it with seasoned wood. I have a neighbor that sounds a lot like yours. A doctor and his wife and she is generally friendly, he is a pain knows I don't like him but still smile and wave to confuse him.. I have to give him and wife for painting the house on their own though confused why they did not pull off the rotting wood gutters full of birt nests or plug the places where they get it.

I do know my 6 inch Dura-vent basically needs a clear 14.5 X 14.5 opening to pass through and touching anything combustible is a no way thing.

Out of curiosity did you see them installing it themselves? I know the op says "he installed" but did you come home to this one day or did you watch them do it?

Came home an noticed it. His ladder is still sitting there. Also when we were on speaking terms they told me they do every thing on their house cause the pros just "mess things up". Most don't know " what their doing and I just have to fix it later ". They have done all the work there, hvac install, plumbing, electric, all the wood working. I doubt they paid for that install. He does good work carpentry wise from what I see and is painting it right. Taking it down to bare wood before painting.

OK I saw it from a different angle. The pipe does not actually touch the wood there is a metal strap the holds it to the wood bit it does not appear to touch I don't think.

One point support for the chimney is not good. They need a proper tee support to handle the weight.

This could be a nice opportunity to break the ice with the neighbor. I wouldn't go in critiquing the install. Compliment them on getting a wood stove and maybe ask if they need any dry wood to get started. Then if they show you the install and you see issues, suggest they come here for some direction. Keep it positive and this could be some common ground.

I wood take the high road Clemsonfor, I know it bites to help them out, but doing the right thing may bring you trifold, it may not, but it's the right thing to do. And you do live pretty close to that......

I'm with Ram. I've read enough of your posts to know that you wouldn't really drive to the fire department and ride the truck back. Heck, as a volunteer fireman you could knock on their door to say that while you all may not see eye to eye, their install is dangerous and you're concerned for their safety.

Well the pipe is strapped down,? Its not really supported by the wood bracket. Its hooked to the eave though in a support bracket .

They have lived in their house a few years prior to me buying my house. I have lived here close to 6 years. We use to speak but not anymore. The nutted up on me and its more like shouting when this gs get said. I still wave though.

Status
Not open for further replies.