To cover or not to cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the wood Im burning this yr I have 2 rows on both the E/W side inside wall of my garage..For what's on not being burn currently, Ive got a nice 20 ft long lean to off my garage that I stack under and allows a lot of wind to blow through. The only thing Im not crazy about is to maximize space I have to stack each row back to back with no space between...

I have unlimited space to stack my wood on pallets. I also have a nice back porch facing the east that is covered and closed in one side of the house. I stack my wood(2 chords) for the winter there and have the rest on pallets stacked and split. My neighbor had a large rectangle pool cover she wasn't using anymore. I became the recipient of that. It works out perfect. Heavy duty tarp that has hangers. I hook weights through the hangers and throw spare pieces on the top. Leave the sides open. Works great. I uncover come June or late may.

i had a few ideas:

1. using 2x2's, they're cheap, and 3 ml plastic. just staple plastic to a frame of 2x2's and cover top of stack. you can nail/screw to a split near the bottom of the frame.
2. wrap chicken wire with 3 ml plastic and bent to shape over top of stack.

The only wood that I cover is what I'm going to be burning this season. Anything that is for next season or the following season is in the wind and sun even during the winter months. I normally cover the wood that I am going to use in the late summer months.

Me too.

Singled stacked in the sun and wind that is not going to be used in the near future should never be covered.....if you stack in rows that are extremely close, under trees, in shade, etc. that may be a different story.....

Singled stacked in the sun and wind that is not going to be used in the near future should never be covered.....if you stack in rows that are extremely close, under trees, in shade, etc. that may be a different story.....

Never is a strong word to use!

Location location location

There is no harm in covering the tops. I leave the sides open all year long though.

Never is a strong word to use!

Location location location

There is no harm in covering the tops. I leave the sides open all year long though.
Your right, Just my opinion, that's all.....

I had 10 cords open all summer with a layer of slabs from big rounds laid on top bark side up. Then covered all with tarps after cold temps set it. I cut my tarps to stack width +6" per side. Covers only the top. I cut rope and tied a split to each end and slung the rope over the tarp. The splits weight down the rope. Each end and middle. Looks cleaner than splits piled on top alone. And is doing really well at keeping the tarp down in wind. I will remove tarps when spring rains are done. My stacks are in sun from 9-5 during summer.

Lots of good ideas. I have about 7 cord that was css in June for next winter. I "cross hatch" or alternate the direction of the wood each row. Two pallets deep not sure how many long at the moment. I've always covered it, but an leaving it uncovered this year.

I was thinking of a way to build a shed that could have a removable roof system. Wood and shingle would obviously be too heavy, but tin roofing that is secured into grooves of a frame might work. I hate tarps. Too many of them and too Sanford and son, for me.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
How much ate we talking about? I make stuff out it, its a beautiful wood, sanded with some boiled linseed oil or penefin on it.
Nothing big enough to make anything cool. The decking is rotted, hence the demo. Some 4x4's and 1x1 spindles and the railing.

Nothing big enough to make anything cool. The decking is rotted, hence the demo. Some 4x4's and 1x1 spindles and the railing.
That's a shame. I burn my small ends and, makes good kindling.

I guess I'll junk the decking and burn the untreated railing system. Two decks though, 4x4's and 1x1's and the railing. A good amount of wood.

Doesn't seem to be any consistency with covering or not, mostly personal preference I suppose.
Sounds like you have good wood for building a wood shed, that what I would do.

If you don't need the wood this winter, I wouldn't cover it all.

I never cover my wood that is drying, I do stack in single rows in the sun and wind and my wood drys quicker than most reported here. I do cover my wood that will be used for this years burning, really cover it, I learned a hard lesson last year that snow and rain can also travel sideways......

This sideways-traveling rain is a pain i.t.a., even down here on the plain, a long ways from Spain.

Leave mine uncovered until mid August before burning.
Ran out of covered seasoned shoulder stove wood a couple weeks ago (first time ever) and regret not having more undercover.
Even wet seasoned wood sucks !

Second that. I have some 2 years old that seems like it got a bit of a soaking in that last rainy noreaster

Status
Not open for further replies.