to cover or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I have just got 2 cords delivered stacked about 1 1/2. My question is that it is going to rain here for the next couple of days, should I cover it all with tarps ? My neighbor say it should be covered ( he supposedly burnt for many years ) but the majority of piles I see around here are not covered. What do you guys believe and do ? Any Pros and Cons to either ?

Thanks

I keep my dry/seasoned wood, that i'll be burning this winter, covered : )

If you know its going to rain for days and you plan on burning the wood soon I would cover and then when you know its going to not rain, then take the cover off and let the air get to it again. That's what I do...

Shipper

I cover the tops of the stacks and 10% down the sides in the spring and summer on all wood. So the rain and spring snow melt water can run off, but the stacks get great ventilation to season the wood.

I then cover the tops and about 50% down the sides in the heating season. Leaving some space at the bottom for dry air flow.

Seasoned wood and kindling to burn for this season, or the next, goes in my barn and wood shed.

I keep the tops and maybe the top foot on each side covered to help the rain run down the sides w/o getting into the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.