To cover or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I have about a hundred feet or so of black locust rounds stacked 6 to 8 feet off the ground on treated lumber and some homemade racks made of elm that raises the stacked rounds minimally 4 to 6 inches off the ground.All of the locust is rock hard 90% de-barked do you think I should cover the rounds,I will not be burning the bulk of it for several years.Will submit pictures later this week,too tired cut about 200 rounds of BL today but have not yet removed it from the woods.Thanks

Reactions: ScotO and zap
I would say if it stayed good this long it will stay good for much longer, but if you don't have any pictures none of this really happened. Nice story though.

I would say if it stayed good this long it will stay good for much longer, but if you don't have any pictures none of this really happened. Nice story though.
Read last paragraph above will post the pics of the stacked rounds later this wek,BUT you are right no picys no happen.

Reactions: ScotO
ohlongarm, nice job on the BL rounds. I never cover what I'm not burning for the heating season.

Nice work.
Zap

locust is known for lasting forever, that is why they used it as fence posts. I have some in my woods that must be almost 100 years old. So no need to cover, however, I always try to split as soon as possible to start the drying process. I do not consider it starting to season until split.

My stacks are in the woods so I'm gonna cover to keep a lot of dead leaves and other tree litter from packing into the top. If it was in the clear I might leave it uncovered,especially BL.

Well, for us to determine whether or not you should top cover we will need the address of where these 200 rounds are lying. ;)

Well, for us to determine whether or not you should top cover we will need the address of where these 200 rounds are lying. ;)

Yes, some of us will need to um..... "inspect" this black locust.

Seriously, I would let it uncovered for awhile after it is split, then top cover a few months before you plan to burn it. Nice job - I'd love to have that much BL!

+1
Locust off the ground will just get harder, not wetter.
Thank you gentlemen,based on your responses I elect not to cover the rounds,the length of the stacked rounds is 94 feet total,by the time I haul what was cut yesterday it should grow considerably.Pictures soon to be posted of stacks ,woodlot where cutting and final haul in a pile when I'm finished.

Come on, you are killing us without pictures. We enjoy BL, nothing like that crazy looking bark and yellow hard wood, that splits remarkably easy.

Reactions: blujacket
Wow I haven't even tried any yet and I'm jealous. I got a half cord of it this time last year and it was about 35% freshly split, I split a couple of big pieces a couple of weeks ago and it was 14%. I can't wait for December January to try it.

Wow I haven't even tried any yet and I'm jealous. I got a half cord of it this time last year and it was about 35% freshly split, I split a couple of big pieces a couple of weeks ago and it was 14%. I can't wait for December January to try it.
Great stuff,boy were the sparks flying of the saw blade when cutting yesterday,went through two new blades before days end,stuff is like petrified wood.Most of what 's being cut has been dead standing air dried no bark.

Great stuff,boy were the sparks flying of the saw blade when cutting yesterday,went through two new blades before days end,stuff is like petrified wood.Most of what 's being cut has been dead standing air dried no bark.
You better not disclose your location I'm in Windsor across from Detroit only about a three hour drive to your place, lol.

Yea right nice story no pictures, do you wanna see some BL SDC10422.JPG thats really dry I was allmost too tired to take this picture.

boy were the sparks flying of the saw blade when cutting yesterday,went through two new blades before days end
Check your chain tension. I believe the sparks are coming from the chain slamming back into the bar, not from the wood. :oops:

Sweet haul, BTW! :cool:

My stacks are in the woods so I'm gonna cover to keep a lot of dead leaves and other tree litter from packing into the top. If it was in the clear I might leave it uncovered,especially BL.

We don't worry at all about the leaf drop. Very little actually gets into the wood pile and as soon as they dry, the wind will blow them off. If leaf gets into the pile, it is from mice or squirrels building nests.

I have about a hundred feet or so of black locust rounds stacked 6 to 8 feet off the ground on treated lumber and some homemade racks made of elm that raises the stacked rounds minimally 4 to 6 inches off the ground.All of the locust is rock hard 90% de-barked do you think I should cover the rounds,I will not be burning the bulk of it for several years.Will submit pictures later this week,too tired cut about 200 rounds of BL today but have not yet removed it from the woods.Thanks

I'd be more concerned about getting the wood split than if to cover or not. Sounds like you have lots!

Status
Not open for further replies.