To damper or not to damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luv2BWarm

Jan 10, 2012
New Hampshire
Looked thru a few archived posts, but still need to ask. When we had our Lopi Republic 1750 installed, the dealer said we should not add a stove pipe damper. We don't get very long burns and purchased the butterfly damper to install - but haven't yet. Any ideas why we were told not to install? Would installing hurt anything?

With the basement install and damp wood I would not add a damper, especially if draft is marginal. I think you are chasing too many issues. Solve the damp wood problem first. With dry wood, you will have much more heat coming from the stove.

We don't keep it fully open. But we can see the heat rise out thru the chimney after the smoke subsides (not sure if that is normal?) And we are working with the damp wood - but that problem won't get totally solved until next season at least. Trying to do the best we can with what we have.

Yes, some heat will go up the flue. It's what maintains draft. if the flue gases are above 250 at the top of the flue it prevents creosote condensation in the chimney. All good things and by design. Did you have any luck picking up some BioBricks or Eco Blocks?

PS. If you can point a fan at the wood stored in the basement, that will help dry out the wood faster. So will a dehumidifier.

When the fuel is not right, don't look elsewhere to solve the problem. The only way to solve it is to get good fuel.

Amen to the fuel. Have tried 4 different suppliers, 7 cord total and at least the last 2 cord were only wet on the outside. Been stripping off the bark as part of the drying process. Finally learned my old supplier (in another town) which I used for 7 years will deliver to my new location. Next year will be better hopefully. At least him I trust to give me what I pay for.

Haven't yet found the Eco blocks / Bio bricks. Will keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.