To do or not To do???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
billb3 said:
I use scrap plywood pieces, even chipboard/particleboard as 'roofs' for the wood piles rather than tarps.
Hld down so the wind doesn't blow them away with sacriice logs or rocks (got plenty oif rocks, wish there was BTUs in them).
Tarps just get torn up and make a racket and mess.
I have used tarps, but just got tired of picking up shards all over all Summer.

I don't have trouble with mice in piles, but there are stone walls all over around here. Probably better, more permanent homes in them. That's where I see snakes, so I imagine they are also hunting grounds.

I'll get bugs, but mostly in wood that still has bark attached.
Stinkbugs in splits. I try to knock most of them off outside.

This is the type of cover i am going to start with.

savageactor7 said:
[quote author="johnnywarm"
Hello Savageactor7
Good advise. I hear that the rain water will flush the sap out of the wood. Is this true? JW

Good morning johnnywarm I can't speak from any authority about rain water flushing sap out of split wood. I just don't know for sure.

The only trick I know about pulling moisture from leafed trees is...

...to cut the tree down, leave it alone and let the leaves suck out the moisture. When the leaves turn brown that's about it but the split wood still has to season. In my experience nothing beats the wood being exposed to the wind and sun...

...Oh and it's kind of important for the woodpile to have morning sun as opposed to afternoon sun. Wood piles that lack morning sun are more likely to have moss growing on them and become a magnet for bugs.[/quote]

Savageactor7

I think it will get the morning sun in summer. I will look for moss. if i get it i will move the pile or cut the tree down that blocks the sun and add it to the pile.

JW

I used standing trees to end my wood piles for the longest time. Mostly pine trees, so in the shade.
A very windy day and a pile would fall over. I'd have to restack. Since I've started using metal poles and other methods I haven't had any knocked over piles so it must have been the wind AND the tree trunk moving shaking the pile. The rows are still under the same pine trees though. Out of the way comes first.

Advantage to a pile out in the sun I figure is: Out in the sun means out in the open, which means out in the wind exposed.
Every little bit helps when you're working aginst time. (usually not enough of it) Removing as many of the elements (as one reasonably can) that might impede drying only makes sense.

My long rows are also on the North side of the house.
I figure they help block the cold northerlies when we get them (usually SW, here, but often just in the afternoon) .
Maybe not by much. But they might.

billb3 said:
My long rows are also on the North side of the house.
I figure they help block the cold northerlies when we get them (usually SW, here, but often just in the afternoon) .
Maybe not by much. But they might.

Same here. My garage blocks the north wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.