to do or not to do

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysensation

Sep 17, 2009
canada
Ok here goes. After doing my research and price checking it seems I have an exterior gas or oil chimney. It is 7 inch's interior (flue) with a 1 inch insulation exterior making it a total of 9 inches stainless steel. I am hoping to hook up my wood stove to have a second heat source. I am planning on only using my wood stove for small fires and only when I am at home. I also have metal siding on the side of my house where the chimney is located. It also appears that the owner of the house before me did also use this chimney occasionally for his wood stove. I have been reading on the internet that you should never use anything but the proper 2 inch insulated stainless exterior prefabricated chimneys for this type of installation. But lets be honest I have seen alot of cabins and sheds that break all the rules without any problems. I am hoping for some feedback from some people with experience's or expertise..I will also be happy to provide more details if need be.
Thanks in advance and happy fires.
peace
j

What brand of Class A do you have?
Excel Class A has a 1" insulated wall & is an approved
chimney system in Canada, eh?

jaysensation said:
But lets be honest I have seen alot of cabins and sheds that break all the rules without any problems.

I love this kind of rationalization. However, it does seem that you have a solid fuel chimney anyway.

jaysensation

The issue with your flue is less about burning the house, and more about the flue overcooling. Both are issues, but the second is going to result in the poor draft and creosote that will contribute to the first in the worst case scenario. More likely is you being displeased with the install due to poor burning. The insulation keeps the heat in which improves draft. Having used a flue just like what you descibed in my last home, I had problems in the beginning and end phases of a fire including flue reversal due to overcooling.

Post a pic of the flue please. Someone may be able to ID.

Also there are some liner sytems that, when insulation wrapped, are permittted to be installed in stainless flues to downsize the flue and bring it up to solid fuel code.

Status
Not open for further replies.