To drain or not to drain (in the off season) ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
Anybody have authoritative testimony on whether it is best to drain you saw, boat, mover, etc and store it dry or should you leave some in and have stabilizer/treatment magic oil etc. in that gas?

On side says drain/dry while the other side says doing so dry rots your plastic tubes and you need to keep some kind of fluid in the to condition those hoses/tubes.

Who is right ?

I drain my saws then run them dry and empty the oil out too when I'm done for the day. It is a good idea for most small engines so the carb does not get all gummed up. That said I don't use them as much as most people if I did every day cutting then I probably would not empty them.

Pete

Stabilized fuel all the time. Anything getting stored more than 90 days, carburetors dry and tanks full. Longer than a year, depends heavily on how/where it will be stored but dry tank and carb is probably best.

I have equipment that has sat for over a year, outside, with stabilized fuel in it and it has been OK. Equipment that sits idle during the spring/summer is the most at-risk.

Makes a huge difference where you store your fuel too. Outside really shortens the expected lifespan, shed is much better, garage or other outbuilding with insulated walls, concrete floor, and no direct sunlight is best.

Handhelds like saws, blowers and trimmers, I dump 'em and run them dry for storage more than 90 days but only my trimmer sits idle that long (winter). ;)

I used to drain all of them. Then just got to where if we have a good day in the 20's + I go out start them and let run for 5 to 10 min. Seems to work good and keeps the carbs rubber from drying out. Besides you get to smell the fumes LOL.

Reactions: TreePointer
I put stablizer in every time I buy gas. I never drain gas or oil from the saw and have never had a problem with this. I do occasionally run the saw in the times of year when not cutting firewood but not very much for sure. If memory is correct I quit cutting firewood in February of this year and the saw was not fired up until in July. No problem.

Don't drain your saws--run 'em!

It's the best Champagne opener on New Years Eve. Put creme de cassis in the bar oil tank to make a proper Kir Royale.

Reactions: amateur cutter
Leave it wet!!

but then again I own a small engine repair shop and make real good money in the spring cleaning carbs and flushing gas tanks.

LOL
Rob

There's an "off" season for saws? I think I missed that memo. ;lol I store my equip wet with stabilizer. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.