To go or not to go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oak4life

Nov 5, 2014
upstate ny
Hey everybody I found a woodsplitter that is really what I want. My only issue is distance. I'm not sure about transporting it a couple hours away. The owner has assured me that its not an issue going over the road with it as it has 12" tires on it. I am a little skeptical about getting it home without upsetting one of our local law enforcement friends though. What would you guys do in my position?
Here's a picture of it. Hydraulic lift and all.
cc9f8aa952b93516d6d0ba0a9d8e39ac.jpg

Reactions: duramaxman05
I'd call one of my local law enforcement officers on the phone and ask for advice.

Reactions: oak4life
Here in NY you do not need any plates on splitters. I would however question a 4hr. run on those tires. You would also want to make sure the bearings are greased. I would grab a trailer or put it in the back of a truck.

Here in NY you do not need any plates on splitters. I would however question a 4hr. run on those tires. You would also want to make sure the bearings are greased. I would grab a trailer or put it in the back of a truck.
Its actually only a 2 hour trip. He told me that it has grease fittings on there so I had definitely planned on bringing the the grease to make sure it was packed full

I would think you would be fine. The 12 inch wheels should be road worthy. How is it much different than towing a light weight single axle utility trailer ? Probably similar weight to an empty small 8 foot aluminum utility trailer.

I think some common sense caution such as already mentioned like greased bearings , making sure tires are road worthy, keeping speeds reasonable in the slow lane, etc.

Not sure if it needs a plate or not though. My guess is no but obviously it could differ from state to state.

If concerned put on a trailer. Even if you have to rent one for a few hours.

Reactions: SCOTT S.
Do you know anyone with a trailer? That's how I got mine home. I had a 2 hour drive also.

Actually that is the size of my trailer and it worked perfectly. I pulled it with my wife's RAV4 no problems.

I still think you would be ok towing the splitter if you take it slow but that said if you can borrow a small utility trailer I'd probably go that route. Especially if you can borrow it for free or for very little money. It's probably a little safer on the trailer.

My major concern would be the condition of the tires. Dry rot? Most splitters do not move a whole lot during their lifetime.

I would trailer it ... short wheelbase, no suspension and oftentimes the axle is part of or close to the hydraulic tank.

Yup, I'd trailer it. Splitter has no suspension, the Speeco's say not to travel over 45 mph on them, low level axle assembly, bearings, etc..

They bounce, and act funny when you get them up to highway speeds.

I couldn't get a trailer but I did call u haul to see what they had to offer. I ended up getting a trailer for $35 for the day. Not a bad price to protect my investment. Thanks fellas. I never would have thought about the suspension.

Well we got her home. Trailer was 6 feet wide and there was probably an inch of clearance between the wheels and the wall of the trailer which made it interesting to get it in but made it happen! Now time to put it to work.

Reactions: SCOTT S.
Now that you have it home don't be too afraid to tow it around. My rule of thumb is anything more than 45 min trip she goes on a trailer and I try to keep it under 50 mph,any freeway gets the trailer also. Have fun with the new toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.