To good to be true?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you give him 20 bucks and he will give you a treasure map without an x on it if you know what I mean!!!

It is probably in a Chi Town cop's back yard.

Man, I dunno...I don't think I'd be too terribly surprised to find out that this ain't that guy's wood. Be vewy vewy caweful. Rick

"Needs to be properly split"?
Looks like thats done already. Danger Will Robinson, Danger Danger!

Hogwildz said:
"Needs to be properly split"?
Looks like thats done already. Danger Will Robinson, Danger Danger!

That's probably not the actual wood. CLers use stock photos all the time.

myzamboni said:
...That's probably not the actual wood.

Could be the guy's trying to sell some virtual wood. Rick

Could be the firewood is still a tree in the ground. I lived in the Ravenswood part of north-side Chicago for a short time.
I didn't like it much. Good luck to anyone who tries for this one.

take lawyers, guns and ... $20. Who knows? You might get mugged but then again, you might get a pile of wood.

Maybe a small, elite backup squad armed with chainsaws and splitting axes...then you're prepared in any event. Rick

The guy stated that is only 1 to 2cords of wood that needs to be split .In the picture it looks like 3 cords thats already split. I guess for twenty bucks it my be worth the phone call. Hell Ill give him 20 just to help load it and another twenty for the wood

I think you're correct, sadly, when you say "too good to be true?"

I'm suspicious, as others are.

Three weeks ago, I saw a way-underpriced F-250 on CL, responded, and got a hard luck story, via email, that went like this: "My son is injured--I need the money for his hospital bills. You send me the money and I'll put the truck on a freight train, and have it shipped to the nearest...." blah blah blah. "Pay Pal/Ebay will protect you, because...." even though it was not ON ebay, but on CL. WTF?

So I plugged the VIN into Google, and had a nice conversation--WITH THE OWNER OF THE DEALERSHIP THAT HAD JUST SOLD THE TRUCK FOR $11,500. MORE THAN THIS SCAMMER WAS OFFERING IT FOR!

It wasn't his truck.

The scammer wanted $7,000., but not for his truck. He wanted it for the truck an actual dealer had actually sold, the previous week, for $18,500. or so.

The dealer who actually did sell the truck recently said that they have one of their VIN's involved in such a scam about once every three months--and that's just one dealer in one city.

The 20-odd photos of the truck (very impressive, btw) were taken FROM THE (LEGITIMATE) SELLING DEALERS WEBSITE, who had sold it, legitimately, the week before. I also spoke with the salesman who actually sold the truck, and whose reflection was visible in the shiny paint in the 20-odd photos. (It would have been great if the scammer had actually taken the photos, and his likeness had been inadvertently captured, huh? LOL)

The brass of some people, huh? And I saw the truck reappear days later, same scam, same pics, same VIN, despite my "flagging" it on CL.

Just sayin'--I'd be very suspicious, and cautious--the wording of the ad for the wood seems “off,” doesn’t it:

“Call me, we'll meet to receive the twenty bucks, and I'll take you straight to the wood.”

Who, exactly, is “receiving” the $20, per the above? Wouldn’t “Call me, we’ll meet so you can pay me the twenty bucks…” make more sense?

Re: my truck search, on CL, I keep seeing variations of this statement:

"I bought this truck only to bring stuff home from Home Depot, for my home improvement project, but now my project is done, so I no longer need the truck."

I mean, I've seen that same line, almost verbatim, more than a few times. WTF? Sure, it's possibly merely a case of honest coincidence, but it seems more likely that some scammer(s) somehow believe that the Home Depot story is some magical incantation that will ensure a quick sale on a "deal," no? Like, "I'm successful, I completed my project, and now you can take advantage of my industrious good fortune, and maybe it will rub off on you?" (Like they think there's some kind of "psychology" at work, by using that line, you know?)

I dunno, but I find it very weird to keep reading that line, in different truck ads, seemingly by different, unrelated sellers....

Re: the wood? I'm suspicious, but if it were close to me, and I needed wood, I might pursue it, either for the fun of exposing the fraud, or the remote (IMO) possibility that it's legit.

But as has been noted-why does it appear to be split already?

Suspicious....

Status
Not open for further replies.