To grate or not to grate...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
I do not have a grate or andirons in my insert. Thinking about adding one or the other for next season. No ash pan. Your thoughts?

The manuals for both of my freestanding woodstoves explicitly state that no grate is to be used. Don't know why an insert would be any different. Rick

There was a grate in the Fisher when we bought the house, but it was badly warped and pretty much burned up within a couple of months of use. I never got around to replacing it and didn't notice any problems during a burn. I think you really want the wood to sit in the coals for a complete burn. I think Quad says not to use a grate. They just take up valuable space in the firebox anyhow.

Chris

Well my wood/coal stove (Ashly Shenandoah style) has a grate and an ash pan, the grate is a shaker type so that ash can be shaken off of coal. Of course the pan underneath makes it possible to remove ash while the fire is in full flight...works the same with wood. My old fireplace insert used a grate, or said another way, I used a grate, I never had a manual.

I'm now looking at a Quadrafire 3100-I Insert to replace my old fireplace insert and the Q-fire says: NO GRATE.... why? How does one remove ash while burning a fire to keep warm? Shovel out the hot coals to make room and start over?

My 4300 had an option for an ash drawer, but it is in the middle of the firebox and probably wouldn't be very useful. I have found that by raking the coals forward to the door when you reload will allow them to burn down to ash and you can scoop out the first couple inches very easily. Shovel, rake, reload, repeat as needed...

Chris

Chris,

Thanks, I read you to say you are able to keep a fire going continuously, no need to stop/cool/remove-ash/restart. The 3100-I, best I can remember, don't have it yet, has the fire floor about on level with the bottom of the door...given I have a couple of feet of brick hearth in front of that I suppose you method could be easy to implement, however, as I remember, the 4100-I and 5100-I have the firebox floor below the door level, perhaps 4", this would make it more difficult to scoop ash out of a working fire, I'd guess.

Dont grate it will ruin performance in wood burning stove. Will burn up too fast. These stoves are designed to get air from the top to burn the wood, coal want air from the bottom. DOnt do it

Thanks. Yes, I know coal burns from the bottom, still grates are very "popular" in open fireplaces, never seen one without one.

I will follow your advice, wxman, as it is so stated in the Quadrafire manual to burn directly on the floor. I haven't yet signed the paper on a insert yet, an may "upgrade" to the 4100 from the 3100 Quadrafire. Any Quadrafire Insert users reading, I welcome any comments/advice.

If it says in the manual not to do something, then I would not do it. Biggest reason would be you will void your warranty.

Jerry_NJ said:
Thanks. Yes, I know coal burns from the bottom, still grates are very "popular" in open fireplaces, never seen one without one.

Yeah, I am not sure i get the grate thing in the open fireplace. I think the grate serves the novice and allows air in there unimpeded and all you really have to do is drop wood on top. Many of the fireplaces I have seen in Adk lodges and other places where they are used for heat have no grates at all and in turn, build up a larger bed of coals and really heat up the brick/stone surrounding. When I get my fireplace humming, I melt my grate.

Jerry_NJ said:

I will follow your advice, wxman, as it is so stated in the Quadrafire manual to burn directly on the floor. I haven't yet signed the paper on a insert yet, an may "upgrade" to the 4100 from the 3100 Quadrafire. Any Quadrafire Insert users reading, I welcome any comments/advice.

I have the 3100 freestanding and do not use a grate, like everybody says, you're eating up a lot of usable space with one. As far as shovelling hot coals out, I don't burn 24/7 so typically when I shovel ash out, there is the layer on top which is cool which goes into a metal garbage can, otherwise, one can shovel all the hot coals towards the back and scoop up the cooler ash in the front into a metal can.

Jay

In an open fireplace, the goal is visible flames which requires a lot of air. Elevating the wood above the coals allows more air into the fire. We all know how efficient an open fireplace is, don't we? Skip the grate in a stove; you are just going to destroy it anyway.

Chris

Redox said:
In an open fireplace, the goal is visible flames which requires a lot of air. Elevating the wood above the coals allows more air into the fire. We all know how efficient an open fireplace is, don't we? Skip the grate in a stove; you are just going to destroy it anyway.Chris

Should be - if the goal is visible flames and ambience then it requires a lot of air and needs a great. You can still get heat out of a fireplace...

Status
Not open for further replies.