To Hearthstone, or Not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosetrek

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
CA in the Sierras
We're looking at a Hearthstone Mansfield, used, for $2499 at a local dealer. The dealership will offer the 1-yr warranty, it was bought and traded in for a bigger stove 3 wks later. We have the stove in sig, but with the tax credit (still applies to used stoves, I understand) and the good reviews of soapstone, we're thinking seriously about picking it up and selling the Englander. We'll be building (we hope) in a couple years, and would plan to look at new stoves at that time anyway as we hope to have a bit larger house than we're in now. I haven't seen too many used hearthstones, other than an H1, for sale locally. Is this a decent deal? Will the Mansfield compare favorably with the Englander? One of the only complaints to the Englander is that, as a steel stove, the heat fluctuations are really noticeable (overnight, etc.), and since it's in the living room we really feel them. Would a soapstone stove actually provide a more even heat over a longer time?

Thanks all-

Can't wait to hear the span of opinions on this one.

I won't say the Mansfield is better than your Englander. I have no basis for such comparison.

But I will tell you a Mansfield will give you very strong, even heat. Even overnight. :) You hear that from MANY soapstone owners, how you get less fluctuations, more "even" heat...

Let the stone heat you - don't spend all your time and energy heating the stone :)

I would make the jump, myself. But it is an awfully big chunk of YOUR change involved, not mine...

Hello There,
I can speak to this on a smaller level--last year, we bought an Englander NC-13 and yesterday we had a Hearthstone Homestead installed. Now, we've only used it three times for burn-in fires, but I can tell you three indisputable things I've noticed already: 1. When standing next to the Hearthstone, I don't get the blast of hot air coming off it like the torch of the 13--it really radiates much more gently, and I can see that I will like that, 2. The Hearthstone is much more efficient--on just 8 pieces of kindling, I was burning for almost two hours (only 200 degrees, but definitely noticeable), 3. The Hearthstone stays hotter MUCH longer than the Englander. I was truly blown away when, after an hour with only a couple embers, the stove was still at 200 degrees.

So far, I'm very impressed with the new stove (by the way, we bought this because my in-laws have the Heritage and love it like a cute l'il puppy wup).

S

moosetrek said:
We're looking at a Hearthstone Mansfield, used, for $2499 at a local dealer. The dealership will offer the 1-yr warranty, it was bought and traded in for a bigger stove 3 wks later. We have the stove in sig, but with the tax credit (still applies to used stoves, I understand) and the good reviews of soapstone, we're thinking seriously about picking it up and selling the Englander. We'll be building (we hope) in a couple years, and would plan to look at new stoves at that time anyway as we hope to have a bit larger house than we're in now. I haven't seen too many used hearthstones, other than an H1, for sale locally. Is this a decent deal? Will the Mansfield compare favorably with the Englander? One of the only complaints to the Englander is that, as a steel stove, the heat fluctuations are really noticeable (overnight, etc.), and since it's in the living room we really feel them. Would a soapstone stove actually provide a more even heat over a longer time?

Thanks all-

I'd check the fine print concerning the tax credit being good toward a used unit. I've not heard that at all. If you get the dealer, however, to write a receipt as with a new stove, stating new unit, or whatever, how would the government ever know?

MarkG

Status
Not open for further replies.