To hell with top-handle saws and bucket trucks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell ya , every firewood gatherer should have a rig like that for cuttin the stuff up and haulin it out, no inaccessible wood :)
We should pitch in on one ;)

A guy around here years ago,actually took a chainsaw and cut his house in half during a divorce, That would work ;lol

Looks crazy. I would imagine that they will get much more aggressive growth in the areas they are cutting. Truely a bandaid solution. Bet the owner of the helicopter comany just happens to have some sort of relationship with JCPL. $500 per hour.

I'd also bet they have to have at least one guy on the ground to make sure onlookers kept their distance. A lot of stuff can go flying from that and folks could get hurt. I'd also be wondering how the helicopter pilot can tell where the right-of-way is? Go over the right-of-way and they could face some large costs from some ticked off land owners. But I'm betting these are used only in the heavily wooded areas away from residences.

I want one !!!!!

I'd fly with that pilot.
Wears the chopper like a shirt .
Many hours on his/her log book .
Probably a heli-logger from out west.

Reactions: MasterMech
Sorry it took so long to reply, I was walking through the woods along the powerlines in my beautiful home state of NJ, and wham... something from above took my arm off. Had it stitched back on, so all is good... :)

Damn,

I thought that was just something dreamed up for a James Bond movie, didn't realize it actually existed.

Reactions: Ashful
I would guess the choppers run by the same guys that set the men on the towers and change out the insulators with the power on. Mostly all privately trained pilots because those are the guys that get enough time in the seat to get that good. Should see them set men on live towers on windy winter days. In NY they can actually cut wider than the right of way if trees are tall enough to be a hazard to the line if they went over. Have a couple thousand feet running through a couple of our fields and I am still waiting on the check for keeping the right of way maintained. I wish...

I've seen that somewhere before.

I saw this method being used on the power line behind my office a couple years ago. I kept hearing a helicopter buzzing back there one afternoon and it just didn't sound right. They usually do a visible inspection once or twice a year so we're used to seeing and hearing them, but this one kept going back and forth. I spent several minutes watching it. It was really fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.