To hot on fire up - could have burned the house down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
I was having a very difficult time to get the stove up to 500 stove top, during this time the temp gauge on the double wall (not internal temp reading) has been getting over 800+ and when I closed the bypass I get backpuffs. So I shut it down and cleaned out the holes for the AB system and that seemed to help out allot.

Well, I finally was able to have the stove guys come over and check my stove.
When they pulled the pipe off the stove to check to see if I needed it cleaned they found out that a section of the class A pipe had buckled on the inside is looks similar to some of the posts where someone had a chimney fire. What they said that this was most likely due to the very hot temps that I had been getting when I was trying to get the stove up to 500. This could have easily caused a fire since this double wall pipe goes into an enclosure in the bedroom. Of course it was buildt with proper clearances which what probably prevented it from happening.

When they did take the shoe brick out they did find allot of ash behind it which also could have been contributing to my issue.
The AB chamber is undamaged.

The main point here is when you shut it down for cleaning if you have been getting above 600 on your double wall it would be a good idea to check to make sure that the pipe has not been damaged.

Over 800 on surface of double wall is scarey, dont try that at home people.

It sounds like you did have a chimney fire. You need to burn the stove hot on a regular basis, which heats the chimney up so that excess creosote doesn't condense on the cool chimney walls. If you do have a lot of creosote buildup, however, you can start a chimney fire that can cause the interior pipe to buckle like you've described. Modern woodstove chimneys are designed to withstand a 2100 degree chimney fire, but that doesn't mean the pipe can't be damaged in the process. You should clean your chimney at a minimum once a year and inspect it before lighting a new fire if you suspect you've had a chimney fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.