To insulate or not the block plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Markie123

Jan 12, 2018
Orange,Ct
I am in the process of getting a voyageur Grand next week. I am reading alot from you guys about insulate behind the insert and above block plate . My retailer and installer tell me this .
We do not put rock wool behind the block plate because it does not make much difference in stopping heat loss or air infiltration. As far as surrounding the insert it is not recommended and will void your warranty. It will cause the outside skin (convection chamber) to warp.

I need you opinion if I pursued this more with my installer . Thank for all opinion it will guide me . Also my liner will uninsulate due to the size of it. They can't fit both.

So a 0 R-value vs. an R-13 or more block off plate. It’s a no brainer! Massive amounts of heat leave through the damper area, why on earth would you not insulate it? If they don’t want to insulate around the insert then fine, but There’s no logic in not insulating above the plate.
If it’s an exterior fireplace, you’d be doing yourself a disservice to not just insulate the walls of the firebox yourself. Installers don’t typically care if the install is optimal, only to code. At least you hope... Minimums are normal.

Absolutely insulate above and put a block off plate, most don't want to do it because it's more work. If it's an exterior chimney insulating the walls may help you, some don't need it, I have an interior fireplace so didn't need it but some with an exterior have had the masonry suck the heat out. That's something you can play by ear.

I am in the process of getting a voyageur Grand next week. I am reading alot from you guys about insulate behind the insert and above block plate . My retailer and installer tell me this .
We do not put rock wool behind the block plate because it does not make much difference in stopping heat loss or air infiltration. As far as surrounding the insert it is not recommended and will void your warranty. It will cause the outside skin (convection chamber) to warp.

I need you opinion if I pursued this more with my installer . Thank for all opinion it will guide me . Also my liner will uninsulate due to the size of it. They can't fit both.
Can you post pictures of the empty fireplace before the install?

Regardless of what the installer is saying, the less heat you put up the flue, the better. A Roxul backed block-off plate installed with attention to detail takes care of this best.

Insulation behind the insert, and beside the insert helps, too. Just maintain an air gap between the insert shroud and the masonry of the fireplace.

The liner must be insulated . Why can't they insulate ?

Last edited by a moderator: