To insulate or not to insulate, that is the question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

martel

Feb 9, 2006
I know there has to be a few threads about this in here someplace, but I can't seem to find one. I am looking at having my masonry fp lined and put in a wood insert. I have had two different sweeps out to price the job. One said you absolutely need to use insulation in the job- the other siad you absolutely don't need to insulate (that yes it would make the stoves more efficient).

Words of wisdom? links to other threads?

Thanks in advance.

zgjd

I wouldn't do it. Just run the liner up through the chimney, close off the top with a top plate, and seal the damper with a direct connect plate. It will work fine, and if you ever want to remove the liner it will be an easier job. Now, will an insulated liner have a better draft, yeah, probably, but how much better? I think marginally so. Its a cost benefit analysis. Besides, after the liner will warm the air inside the chimney a bit (which, being sealed, should hold some of the heat). That's my opinion.

YMMV...

Mike

mike thanks- so most of all- its safe right? I'm looknig at an abundance of free wood, so a bit less efficient is not going ot break the bank. This sweep did mention if it s a good terracota (sp?) liner he would perhaps recommending not even using a liner.

Its totally safe, that's not the issue. As for not using a liner, don't do it. I had a brand new terra cotta flue, and ran the insert into it for one season. It worked, but wind was a problem, and it wasn't nearly as good, or efficient, as with the liner. Now its a machine, starts fine, wind and rain are never a problem, and the draft is 100% better.

-- Mike

PS - I have an uninsulated flex liner in a 12" terra cotta flue, sealed on top and at the damper plate, 6.5' X 3.5" brick chimney, exposed to the elements and the Atlantic Ocean on 3 sides.

Another thing to consider if you don't use a full liner is that cleaning the chimney will become a much bigger chore. You will at the very least have to pull the insert out each time. With a full liner you could run a brush down the liner, and gather the crumbs from the insert.

May be worth it just for that. I cannot wait to get a stove in. I spend the days shivering and dreaming of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.