To keep those with pellet stove related OCD issues busy, how do your receive and stack your pellet s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyTheBear

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2008
Standish, ME
Wanting to use most of my garage space as a pellet bunker I strive to get as many in as possible. This means a minimum of 75 bags to a pallet. I can go 18 layers high but I'm getting ancient and do not care for ladders.

How do you handle the bunker filling chore at your place.

I have one corner where I stack 7 to a row instead of the usual 5. I go 15 rows high so I get 2 tons in that corner. Admittedly, I use a step ladder to throw the last two layers on.
Then I put a 5x stack (1 ton) between my two garage doors at the front. That's plenty for me, hopefully. With it at 63 degrees when I woke up this morning, I guess I have MORE than enough although you never know what Mother Nature is going to do. At least I don't have to run the heat pumps! Yesterday the EPA (Obama's organization to cripple our energy supply, as he promised) passed much more stringent regulations on mercury, which are designed to shutdown the coal fired electrical generation plants that supply 1/2 of our energy. >>>>> a little political heads-up. :)

For pellets we have a slot between the outer concrete basement wall and an inside storage room that is slightly wider than a bag of pellets is long.

We can go 9 feet high and 10 feet long with the stack. This area will hold approx 3 tons with ease.

The Nut shell thing is a different story, 50 gallon barrels and various other plastic barrels and cardboard barrels get filled and stacked in the basement.

We also have 10 50 gallon drums fiull in the barn.

As we use a barrel full from the barn the empty goes back and a fresh one comes up to the house.

Its a grand juggling act to store about 5 tons of shells, but we do it.

Later this winter (feb/mar) I will go get a bit more shells and top off the barrels.

I have given thought to building a storage "Bunker" that can hold 4-5 cubic yards of shells, but the barrels are so simple and "Paid for"

Snowy

Yea, Snowy, you could really build a 'coal bin' in the basement and just chute the shells down into it through a window like in the old days.

O.K. I cant resist saying it again for everyone

one semi load at a time, 22 tons
have warehouse guy unload with forklift and
stack neatly between the column lines
see avatar
sit back and enjoy looking at them
load one ton at a time on Dodge
bring home and unload into garage
repeat after 5 years

Have three tons delivered to my lawn just outside the basement window. Have a ramp made of plywood that I use as a chute. Throw the bags thru the window down the chute. Can get about 15 bags in before I have to go into the basement and stack. I have a 4'x8'x8" 'pallet' I made to get the bags off the basement floor. I stack 12 to a row x 12 high. Ripped about 4 bags doing it this way until I fine tuned the landing spot of the bags in the basement. After that no bags torn.

My get hauled home in the back of my pickup and very few delivered to my steps. Each bag is thrown on my shoulder and hauled down the stairs to the basement. Placed neatly in a restacked pile. Each stack is about 70 bags high and room for 4 stacks of them. They will only to be touched again when I go for it to toss it in the stove. I don't want it to be like cord wood where your moving the stacks around every other chance you get.

Of coarse I do like to site, lounge and snuggle with my pellets when the wifey isn't looking! ;-) So there is a special short stack just for my pleasure! I know sick! :cheese:

I buy a ton at a time. Haul them home in the back the ol pick up truck. Then carry them to the wood shed one at a time and stack them on a pallet just like they were stacked at the factory.

About to do that again tomorrow or the next day. It is time for a ton.

j-takeman said:
Each stack is about 70 bags high and room for 4 stacks of them.

j-takeman,
A 28' tall stack? Well, I suppose you don't want to intrude on your basketball court. :lol:

jmart said:
j-takeman said:
Each stack is about 70 bags high and room for 4 stacks of them.

j-takeman,
A 28' tall stack? Well, I suppose you don't want to intrude on your basketball court. :lol:

28'-0" Tall???? What you talkin' bout Willis???

Oh now I get it....70 stacked one on top of the other = 28'

Mine get stacked back on a spare skid just as they came on the original skid. I have room to keep 4 ton in my basement. Unloading isnt bad, throw 5 bags in a wheel barrel, down the ramp to my basement door, and stacked neatly waiting for their turn at keeping me warm.

Me thinks (yeah, I know novel for a bear) Mr. Takeman is doing 14 row stacks, but maybe he is one tall piggy.

Man, I must of been sloshed/drunk/plastered/polluted! They are 4/70 bag stacks not high. So they are only 14 bags high. Sorry for the screw up! :sick:

1 ton loaded onto my Dodge Power Wagon via forklift at local HomeDepot.
1 ton unloaded into my garage and stacked in the back corner by my elbow grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.