To move a heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
After five years and more than 25 cords of softwood, it was time to pass the Heritage on to someone else. I bought it new for under 2000$ and the new ones are 3500$ so I was able to get all of my money back!

I do not plan to buy another hearthstone in my lifetime due to this inflation. The stove worked exactly as promised delivering plenty of heat and overnight burns. The 2.3CF listed firebox was only actually 1.5 CF but it could still do the job of heating my 1700 SF. I had just replaced the baffle (Thanks Tom Oyen) that was damaged by me loading it too full and nothing else was done to the stove. The gaskets are all original, the ashpan was never used.

The biggest reason (excuse) I chose to unload it was that the doors were all beginning to sag. The pins were not worn at all, it was the cast iron hinges. Since the gaskets on these stoves are very small with a knife edge engagement, the alignment of the doors was critical. Related to the failing hinges was the door latch which is a slot cut into the same door frame casting as teh hinges. The slot was wearing quickly and was worn to a razor sharp edge and thin. This will break at some point and I don't want to be the guy rebuilding a stove to replace these components. The stove still works great and this sagging might be normal. I regularly lubed the hinges and latches.

So I ran an ad in CL. Within a few days I sold it and loaded it into a VW pickup yesterday.

This bugger weighs between 500 and 550 depending on who you ask and I had to move it alone to the back door. Members here had suggested methods that mostly included a dolly which I happened to own and normally use to roll my genset around. My elevated hearth was just about the same height as the dolly so I figured I would slide the stove right out onto the dolly. I have regular tile from HD. It is labeled porcelain but it might be ceramic, the color is painted onto the base clay. I was able to wet the tile liberally with water and then slide the stove without scratching anything. This took considerable strength but was doable.
Well, the dolly needed a little extra depth to support the feet of the stove so I needed to use some plywood strips which meant I would need to lift the stove 3/4" inch. No big deal but this stove is very heavy. I could lift one side and in an act of hernia challenging stupidity I would kick a board under the legs. Then slide the stove onto the dolly. Cool. Now I just rolled the stove towards the door. My finished concrete interior floors are way easier to roll across than carpet BTW.

In the daylight I could see that my stove needed some paint pretty badly. The buyer was about an hour away so I busted out the stovebrite and used some junkmail to mask the stone. A few shots of paint and the stove looked exceptionally great. Needed to vent the fumes quickly.

I also took this opportunity to shoot wd-40 up the stove's intake tube onto the primary air control slider. Man, that is awesome. Worked excellent to eliminate the catchy adjustment. Previously I had to wiggle and jiggle the handle to get the control to move. Now it's super smooth. A member on this site recommended this and I very much endorse it now. WIsh I had done it years ago.

Stove showed very well and was bought quickly.

I race motorcycles and have a pair of ramps made of 2x10 lumber and those metal board end things that hang on your tailgate to provide a smooth transition from ramp to truck. I load my 300 lb bike on one of them so I assumed the stove weight distributed across both ramps would be fine and it was. We rolled the dolly right into the VW pickup. VW, by the way, decided that you don't need any tie down points in the bed. It's just like a bathtub and I hope the stove made it to the guy's house.

So now my hearth sits empty. I have been convinced by members here of the superiority of cat stoves for heating 24/7 and so I do believe that I will be installing a BK princess ultra. It's ugly. Has a pedestal, and the flame show won't be as nice but I'm betting that the operational advantages will make up for that. Second in line is the alderlea t5, the super firebox is the top non-cat in my opinion. Hope to pick up the BK on Friday.

The little pug dog in that last picture could use a cat for company.

Attachments

• IMAG0408.jpg
    IMAG0408.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 198
  • IMAG0409.jpg
    IMAG0409.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMAG0410.jpg
    IMAG0410.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMAG0411.jpg
    IMAG0411.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMAG0412.jpg
    IMAG0412.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 198
Glad it worked out without any injuries to report.

That's a great way to move those heavy buggers. I'm paying the extra $350 for the stove dealer to move mine around. He told me Wisconsin doesn't charge tax for a new stove if you have it installed by a pro and tax is about $55 per 1k so I figure that helps pay down the install fee.

I've had my Keystone on Craigs list for a few weeks and no serious bites yet. I thought it would go quick.

I'm hoping the new stove is on a pallet that is the proper height to allow a nice slide onto the hearth. My truck is much taller than a VW so the ramps will be steeper.

I'm hoping the new stove is on a pallet that is the proper height to allow a nice slide onto the hearth. My truck is much taller than a VW so the ramps will be steeper.
I stopped using my truck several stoves ago. Renting a trailer was the way to go for me. Made things a lot easier with out adding much cost.

Reactions: Ashful
Congratulations on the sale and easy move out. I used a heavy duty Milwaukee hand truck to move our stoves. It allows for tight strapping to make it one unit and having handles for moving gives more control, especially for slowing it down.

I stopped using my truck several stoves ago. Renting a trailer was the way to go for me. Made things a lot easier with out adding much cost.

The height doesn't bother me, I've unloaded the last two stoves from a taller bed without issue, just need to be sure the ramps stay on the truck and I shouldn't be using wheels until the stove is on the ground. My trailer option is a large equipment trailer with a doetail and stout ramps. Not a good match for the stove shop's neighborhood.

I might look into the various cart/hand truck options. The dolly was fine for the heritage with it's small depth but the squarer stove I'm looking at might make things a little tighter. I'll need to measure carefully.

Anybody remember the pallet situation with the BK stoves? Can you tell me the size? Is it bolted down? I'm looking at a pedestal only model, is the pedestal mounted to the stove?

So now my hearth sits empty. I have been convinced by members here of the superiority of cat stoves for heating 24/7 and so I do believe that I will be installing a BK princess ultra. It's ugly. Has a pedestal, and the flame show won't be as nice but I'm betting that the operational advantages will make up for that. Second in line is the alderlea t5, the super firebox is the top non-cat in my opinion. Hope to pick up the BK on Friday.

I hope it works out for you as well as mine worked out for me. I'm anxious to see how it does for you burning softwoods. I remember the amazement I had after the first couple fires, waking up in the morning after a low burn and the load mostly untouched minus the middle splits. I don't know that it will be that dramatic from the stove you're switching from but mine was a big difference.

Blaze Kings are made in softwood country. It should do great.

I hope it works out for you as well as mine worked out for me. I'm anxious to see how it does for you burning softwoods. I remember the amazement I had after the first couple fires, waking up in the morning after a low burn and the load mostly untouched minus the middle splits. I don't know that it will be that dramatic from the stove you're switching from but mine was a big difference.
There should be a pretty big difference between the Heritage and the Princess. Highbeam usually ran his Heritage at a about 450 degrees, so he rarely used the top end that often on a stove that has about 1.5 cu ft of usable firebox, which is smaller than the Sirocco. The Heritage gives 5-8 hours of heat depending upon your needs.

Highbeam should see quite a boost in burn time and I bet he gets the 30 hour burns during the mild weather. Todd should as well.

Anybody remember the pallet situation with the BK stoves? Can you tell me the size? Is it bolted down? I'm looking at a pedestal only model, is the pedestal mounted to the stove?

I'll let you know today when my stove is installed. I do remember seeing a BK on a pallet and I think it was on it without the legs or pedistal?

Edit: looks like it won't be installed til Wed, my 45 elbows didn't show.

I've all but decided on the ultra which is only available as a pedestal model so maybe it comes that way. I might be picking it up tomorrow instead due to a conflict.

Max low burn time on the princess is supposed to be 20 hours. I would be tickled to get a dependable 12. We had frost on our roof this morning so it won't be long before i find out.

I've all but decided on the ultra which is only available as a pedestal model so maybe it comes that way. I might be picking it up tomorrow instead due to a conflict.

Max low burn time on the princess is supposed to be 20 hours. I would be tickled to get a dependable 12. We had frost on our roof this morning so it won't be long before i find out.
Huh, I thought it was 30.

Huh, I thought it was 30.

Not the princess, the sirocco, or the chinook 20. The chinook 30 (similar to the princess) can do 30 hours. Apparently the thermostat can be cranked down even lower.

Todd, could you ask Daryl how the ultras come?

I think I read that my Parlor model has side shield option so I think it would just be an Ultra with legs? Aren't they pretty much the same stove?

Burn time is 20 hours with Fir but according to the guys that burn hardwood you can get 24 or more. The new Chinook 30 claims 30 hour burns and it has the same sized fire box as the Princess.

The Ultra comes with the pedestal attached to the stove and the stove bolted to a basic 4" high pallet.

Perfect. I'll have a chance to inspect each model but I believe you are correct that under it all, the princess variants all use the same basic box.

Looking forward to your pictures and thread about the install Todd. Like really soon. I'll need all the help I can get.

In regards to Blaze King stoves, is there any difference, other than cosmetic, between the Ultra, Parlor and Classic models?

Like highbeam, I am also interested in Todd's install. This is going into the downstairs fireplace that was recently rebricked, right? Looking forward to seeing how it is installed and how it fits on the hearth.

In regards to Blaze King stoves, is there any difference, other than cosmetic, between the Ultra, Parlor and Classic models?

Like highbeam, I am also interested in Todd's install. This is going into the downstairs fireplace that was recently rebricked, right? Looking forward to seeing how it is installed and how it fits on the hearth.

No, the rebuilt fireplace is upstairs and is keeping the Keystone, the BK will be downstairs on a large brick hearth and through wall thimble. Too bad I have to wait another day due to lack of pipe parts but I'll make it up to you guys with lots of pictures, videos and stove info throughout the season.

Reactions: PapaDave
No, the rebuilt fireplace is upstairs and is keeping the Keystone, the BK will be downstairs on a large brick hearth and through wall thimble. Too bad I have to wait another day due to lack of pipe parts but I'll make it up to you guys with lots of pictures, videos and stove info throughout the season.
Oh, I had your fireplaces mixed up. I thought the large brick hearth was upstairs.

Must you install an appliance adapter when trying to shove double wall into the flue collar? We still want pics Todd, even without the pipe. Are you using single wall or double wall?

Must you install an appliance adapter when trying to shove double wall into the flue collar? We still want pics Todd, even without the pipe. Are you using single wall or double wall?

I don't think it would be possible to install the double wall without the adapter. One knock I have against the stove is the flue collar. My Endeavor had a nice round one piece flue collar(think the Lopi site says it's well casing), my Princess is a piece that's formed into a circle and has a welded seam on the back side. I had to grind down this welded seam in order to slip the appliance adapter over the collar and acceptable amount.

Im using double wall and was told most installations require the adapter. I'd take pictures but nothing is here yet, something to look forward to tomorrow.

When my chimney sweep installed the Progress using double wall, he did not install an appliance adapter. WS told me that double wall must have an adapter. I made the installer redo it with an appliance adapter and it made a lot of difference (for one, the stove stopped whistling continuously ;) ).

The Hearthstone was absolutely not compatible with an appliance adapter. Double wall straight in was perfect. I know the adapter won't work on a Hearthstone because I bought one with a damper. I still have it on a shelf so I will finally be able to use it with the princess. I don't believe I need a damper for the flue but since I have the part, about 50$, it will be installed.

I will be prepared with a small stone on my die grinder to smooth out the weld if needed.

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.