To rebuild a 30 yr old VC Resolute?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougiefreshhh

Dec 12, 2011
North Central CT
Hi All:

I'm excited at getting our new Jotul Oslo going.

However, now I have to decide on what to do with our old VC RA.

The back fire back is cracked (the one with the draft holes/scallopped etching...see pic).

IMG-20111216-00470.jpg

I also believe the right side baffle is cracked as well.

Question: How hard is it to replace the fire back? In other words, is rebuilding it going to take months, or is it fairly straight forward (i.e. is there a web site with guidelines on how to rebuild a VC RA?)

My fear is that I rebuild it, sell it, and then the thing leaks, or worse...leaks fire!

Thanks in advance for the input all! Much appreciated.

Doug

Actually, it turns out that you are the proud owner of a Resolute, not an Acclaim! Good! There are two screws to remove, and possibly 2 bolts (can't tell from pic. ) and then all the inside parts come out! Sounds easy...

Left and right insert each have a screw holding themin. L one is dead center, R one is also centered, but below the opening. Hard to find, sort of. Once removed, pry those guys out. If you have a 1 piece fireback, that too will pry out. If not, look for 2 acorn nuits on the back of the stove(outside now) remove those nuts and corresponding bolts, and remove 1st upper then lower firebacks.

Installatiuon is the reverse, altho converting 1 pc. to 2 requires drilling some holes, but there are instructions that come w/ the kit.

Easy, right?

Thanks Defiant.

Ummm, so do I need to take the legs and top off to replace the part?

I will check the parts place and confirm they include the instructions.

Should I repaint, or use polish to color the stove? Once ive done that, any guesses on what she might be worth?

Sorry for the trivial question, but I'm a total noob with this, and don't want to kill a decent stove in the process of trying to rebuild it.

Thx!

Dj

Legs and top can stay. I like Rutland high temp stove paint (spray) to refinish.

A Resolute in good cond. will go around $500.00 ish. Double front doors maybe more, single front door style maybe less. Completely restored I get $750.00. Start high, you can always come down.

Instructions come with the fireback KIT, part # 5864.

Enjoy the project! It's kind of fun, in a dirty way...

Thanks! Ill give it a go. Looks like the lower fireback runs about $70. I feel better that I don't have to crack the whole thing apart to replace the lower fireback. Any other tips or 'gotchas' to watch out for would be greatly appreciated!

I guess you've found that there is a seperate upper fireback/damper assy. in your stove, and not a 1 piece fireback? Can't quite tell from the pic.

Thanks!
Here is a better pic...I hope.

IMG-20111216-00468.jpg

This stove served me well for 8 years...

Thanks,
Doug

this is what I've got. http://www.discountstove.com/0042.html

Looks like I need to replace part #11.

How do I get that sucker out without dismantling the entire stove?

Thanks for the help. now if it would just get cold enough, I could fire up my new Oslo!

oops..never mind. I see the side insert screws, and the acorn nuts. So if I have a 2 piece, is the replacement kit just a once piece?

Yeah ,but from the pic. it sure looks like 1 pc.... Anyway, a 2 piece fireback means you need only the LOWER fireback, V.C. part # 130-1356.

Hey Defiant3:

well, as my ignorance proves...after closer inspection, it is a one piece fireback.

I managed to get the left insert screw out...but the right insert screw is stripping out.

I looked at one online parts place, and it says the one piece fireback is no longer available.....

you mentioned there is a kit? requiring some drilling?

Thanks!
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.