To Seal or Not.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dorkweed

That is the question for the grout on my hearth................................that's almost done!!!

Reactions: Defiant
seals.jpg

Reactions: ScotO and fossil
Def seal.

Why would you not?

The only reason i could possibly think of (and I had to think a while) to not seal it would be the slight possibility that the heat could discolor the sealant. With that said, if you don't seal it, your grout is going to be some sort of nasty brown color in no time from the dirt anyway. So, seal it.

Next time try asking. ;lol Definitely seal.

Reactions: Defiant
Assuming you're talking about a tile hearth? Not sure I see much need to seal a stone hearth. Mine seems to have faired well (239 years old!) without sealing.

what I've been told at work by the in-house carpenters is that the newer grouts have a stuff in them that older grouts did not, lessening the need to seal. And when you go to re-grout, if you ever did, the grout doesn't like to stick to the areas with sealer on them. That being said, I've never grouted, know absolutely zero about it - just passing on second-hand information.

Use a siloxane based sealant, you won't even be able to tell it's on there. That's what I used on my chimney on the natural stone veneer I installed, and once it dries you can't even tell it's on there. Beads up water and everything else just like a coat of wax! It's great stuff, probably the best sealer for masonry/concrete/grout that you can get.

Use a siloxane based sealant, you won't even be able to tell it's on there. That's what I used on my chimney on the natural stone veneer I installed, and once it dries you can't even tell it's on there. Beads up water and everything else just like a coat of wax! It's great stuff, probably the best sealer for masonry/concrete/grout that you can get.

Thanks for the info. Would that happen to available at the Home Despot or Meynards or Lowest??

They should have some sort of siloxane sealer. If they don't, go to your local masonry or bricklayer supply store. The certainly should have it. As a last resort, check fleabay or the internet. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.