To sell or keep?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I was talking with my barber this morning about the hickory tree that came down and he immediately told me I should sell it to our local BBQ place. He said that last time he talked with the owner they were paying $300/cord for hickory.

So here's my question, I have a 110 foot hickory tree cut up and lying besides my stacks making for an easy job. Do I keep the awesome BTUs or sell it knowing that the current price for a cord of hardwood is about $175.

Just looking for input before I ever look into it further.

fv

If your making 300 cord then sell it and buy Hardwood at 175 then you will get more wood.

Pete

Reactions: fox9988
Sell the hickory for a profit,buy more other wood.

Reactions: fox9988
I'd sell for $300 a cord.

I agree with the others here; sell it and buy the hardwood. Better for the economy and good for the BBQ place.

or trade it for $300 worth of barbeque

EXACTLY!

You get $300 worth of BBQ and the business owner gets $300 worth of wood for about $100, WIN-WIN!

Do whatever your heart desires. If you sell it you will have to handle the wood a couple times more plus hauling it to he place. In my situation, I would keep the fire wood. Others will say sell it.

Reactions: Ashful
You'll enjoy going to the BBQ joint all year long. I'd ask for 400 in store credit.

Will cost them less.. make you a happy customer. They "pay" less for their wood. Make sure you tip good, otherwise you'll be known as "that cheap wood trading S.O.B." among the waitstaff.

:)

The last thing you EVER want to be known as is a bad tipper.

I bet some of the limbs are good for cooking too.
Might have enough there to get 2 cords of hardwood firewood.
Might even get a small load of log length & get 3 cord for the money.
But then again, it's easy premium wood laying next to the wood stack.

Always need money & more fire wood.
Sell some / keep some, then both sides of you are happy LOL :)

If I had good hickory already at home by the wood pile I would keep it. Not saying that it is right or wrong that's just my view.

Also, chip the bigger limbs that are too small for firewood, and sell them on craigslist to people to put on their grills to smoke their food.

I "wood" definitely keep it. One of the best hardwoods out there already sitting on your lawn. Not enough price differential for me to but, haul and sell to then to buy and or haul, split and stack.

Really you stand making $125 (if you sell for $300 and buy for $175). Depending on how far away it is you're probably going to burn at least $25 - $50 in fuel cutting and hauling a full cord of wood (figure 3 trips on a half ton truck). Now you're down to $75 - $100 profit.

It takes me a solid 8 hours to cut ,split, and haul a cord of wood....maybe more. I'd rather have the 8 hours than the $75 dollars and a sore back. Check local listings, but it is 106* outside. I'm not having anything to do with firewood for that kind of money.

Cutting for yourself has a lot higher margin...I can save about $300 in propane for a cord of wood. My time is worth that.

Reactions: Ashful
Lukem, thanks for breaking it down that way. If he wants it split there's no way I'd sell it. I can work several hours of OT and make more than that so I'm guessing unless he offers me an awesome price it'll be stacked in my backyard once this heat breaks.

fv

Hate to see yummy wood taste go in a heater but that's just me. Id keep it for my smoker, but most people dont need a full cord for a smoker.

Some will go into my smoker.

fv

Reactions: woodsmaster
Lukem, thanks for breaking it down that way. If he wants it split there's no way I'd sell it. I can work several hours of OT and make more than that so I'm guessing unless he offers me an awesome price it'll be stacked in my backyard once this heat breaks.

I suspect the quoted $300/cord is based on cut and split stacks. There are two ways to look at this:

1. I wouldn't be wasting my time, energy, and equipment in the July heat for a margin of $125/cord.

2. It has to be cut up and moved anyway. Are you happier burning it yourself, or spending the extra time to haul it and retrieve other wood for $175/cord?

If one has access to other wood to replace that tree then I would contact them to see if they were interested first and see how they would like it cut and split. If you strike a good deal then go for it, if not, then it's wood for the stacks.

If you're stuck paying for wood if you don't put this tree in your own stacks, then I'd be less likely to part with it. In that case, the deal would have to be ultra sweet (like the 400 bucks store credit JP11 mentioned)

pen

300.00 a cord for hickory in this heat I pass on selling or keeping! ;)

Reactions: pen
300.00 a cord for hickory in this heat I pass on selling or keeping! ;)

101,102 past 3 days here with 106-112 heat index. 95 right now,may get a couple degrees hotter & that's it.Cold front moving in - 85 tommorow & Monday,about damn time too..11 days of 90+ temps,4 of those 100+ :confused:

Reactions: smokinj
101,102 past 3 days here with 106-112 heat index. 95 right now,may get a couple degrees hotter & that's it.Cold front moving in - 85 tommorow & Monday,about damn time too..11 days of 90+ temps,4 of those 100+ :confused:

Sure makes 300.00 for a cord seem silly. Oct'berish it might sound good?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.