to split or not to split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magoo0512

Jul 18, 2016
Western ny
I scored a bunch of wood from a guy cutting down some trees along the woods in his backyard to put in a pool .they were a variety of maple cherry and ash trees. after cutting splitting and stacking everything I was left with about a face cord or more of three to four inch round branches all cut in 16 inch length. my question is should I even bother with splitting anything or just leave them and stack them as is and will dry time take any longer due to having bark all the way around on all sides thanks

If you have the time I would split. I myself have only enough space to stack enough to be one year or so ahead, so I like to maximize drying quickly. One positive it that you will have a good supply of small splits to get the fire going again on those cold mornings.

Reactions: jaoneill
I would not split, all you will have left is a half a face cord of kindling......Those species dry pretty quick and should be ready to go for 2017-2018.

It all depends upon how quickly you want the wood to dry and if you need smaller splits for starting fires. Basically, your prerogative....

Reactions: jaoneill
Status
Not open for further replies.